Author Topic: New Audax on the way . . . .  (Read 29619 times)

RST Scout

• Janet
Re: New Audax on the way . . . .
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2017, 09:37:24 pm »
Waiting for delivery, which should be some time today - sp be patient, Janet!  In fact, mine will be BRG Imron, not gunmetal, it turned out that they were out of stock of gunmetal in my size.  No problem, perfectly OK with either. 

Lewis

My RST is BRG. Nice colour :D I thinking of going for red on my Audax.

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2017, 10:04:09 pm »
Lewis, thanks for those photos. They show me what my new bike will look like  ;D Those tyres do look a bit tight. I'm getting Schwalbe G-One Speed, they're 30c tubeless. I hope there's more room for them under the mudguards/fenders. I see you've got the Tubus Airy. I'm going for one of those plus a saddle with titanium rails. Hopefully it will all add to a reduction in weight.

Good (and safe) cycling, Lewis.

Janet

Anto, how's your poor mouth?
Scout & Bettina's slave!

jags

« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2017, 10:33:52 pm »
Not to bad now janet back to dentistin the morning hope I get dentures sorted or there'll be no turkey for anto.  Soup.happy christmas everyone stay safe and keep g hose bike clean.
Anto.

lewis noble

« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2017, 02:59:47 pm »
Well, I was out yesterday on the Audax, first real venture. Not far, around 10 miles, but in pretty difficult circumstancs as far as I was concerned, heavy traffic, lots of road works, urban riding, tramlines . . . . Would have preferred something in more open country, but had things to do other side of Sheffield.

All went OK, the Audax was certainly easier up long moderate hills than the Sherpa (Shalesmoor to Broomhill if anyone knows Sheffield), and felt stable and predictable, comfortable, with none of the twitchiness that other dropped bikes I have tried demonstrated . . .

The ride served to convince me that the bars have to go.  I was OK on the flats, a little too far forward on the hoods, and the drops . . . . . I felt most uncomfortable and vulnerable, I have got so used to having 2 - 3 fingers on the brake levers at all times . . . So downhill, I ended up a good bit slower than on the Sherpa.  New Bontrager bars on the way, should arrive in a day or so.  I chose them because my daughters Trek, one of the bikes I played around with, has them, and I got on with them much better even on an overall less comfortable frame.

It just goes to show that a showroom fitting, however carefully done, is no substitute for actual experience on the road.

So I'm persisting with the green machine, and should replace the bars this weekend . . . .I doubt if much else will be happening . . . .

Best wishes to everyone.

Lewis

horizon

« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2017, 12:58:32 pm »
Update (in case you read my earlier version):

Lewis: may suggest a shorter and steeper stem (keep the original handy) and not to cut the steerer for a while? Also persevere for a bit. Changing from one bike to another is a often a major shock! Trust the bike fit that Thorn did and be ready to move slowly from a higher/nearer position (with the new bars and stem) to where they recommended as you get used to it even if that means changing the stem and bars over again until you are happy - you won't get it in one day/one try.

Also find a nice quiet flat road and keep going out on it for short trips - it's like learning to ride a bike again!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 01:13:27 pm by horizon »

lewis noble

« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2017, 02:26:17 pm »
Thanks, horizon, yes, the steered will remain uncut  indefinitely I expect . . . my new stem is 6 deg instead of 17, I prefer the shallower angle in lots of ways. Even if I end up with a spacer or two on top of the bars, no problem for me. Working on it!!

Lewis

lewis noble

« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2017, 01:03:17 pm »
New bars fitted . . . .what a difference!!  No particular problems (other than 'losing' the thread in levers when unscrewing the clamp - easier to disengage than re-engage!! - lesson learned), bars currently covered / cables secured with insulating tape / pipe wrap while I work on final position of levers etc. But I feel just so much more comfortable when riding, very good on tops and hoods, drops / brakes fine, quickly and comfortably sustained position.

New bars are Bontrager VR-S, bought from Trek outlet in Manchester.  I already had a Trek 31.8 mm clamp stem from working on / revising my daughter's Trek, making her road bike more congenial for her style and city riding.

I will post more details and picture once all sorted.  And I guess my position may need to change as I get used to the new bike and style etc. 

Best wishes to all for Christmas.

A happier Lewis

jags

« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2017, 01:18:12 pm »
good stuff Lewis happy cycling enjoy Christmas roll on the summer.

anto.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2017, 01:37:20 pm »
Yay!  :)

Best,

Dan.

lewis noble

« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2017, 02:14:16 pm »
Good ride yesterday, not all that far, but the 'outer' section, from Sheffield out west into the hills, was a steady uphill and strong headwind.  Felt fine, better uphill than on the Sherpa.  It's my favourite 'training' route, no idea of time or speed, not too bothered anyway and stopped a couple of times to re-adjust saddle etc.  Then flew downhill back into Sheffield, along a recently resurfaced road, haven't been so fast on a bike in decades. 

I felt much more secure and confident, very pleased.  Audax very comfortable ride, and although most of the surfaces were good, it swept over the irregularities and defects very well.

So, all in all, things are looking up!!

Once set up is finalised, I will post pictures, insulating tape and pipe wrap still on the bars at present.

Best wishes for Christmas and New Year to everyone

Lewis

leftpoole

« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2018, 02:31:17 pm »
Well, I was out yesterday on the Audax, first real venture. Not far, around 10 miles, but in pretty difficult circumstancs as far as I was concerned, heavy traffic, lots of road works, urban riding, tramlines . . . . Would have preferred something in more open country, but had things to do other side of Sheffield.

All went OK, the Audax was certainly easier up long moderate hills than the Sherpa (Shalesmoor to Broomhill if anyone knows Sheffield), and felt stable and predictable, comfortable, with none of the twitchiness that other dropped bikes I have tried demonstrated . . .

The ride served to convince me that the bars have to go.  I was OK on the flats, a little too far forward on the hoods, and the drops . . . . . I felt most uncomfortable and vulnerable, I have got so used to having 2 - 3 fingers on the brake levers at all times . . . So downhill, I ended up a good bit slower than on the Sherpa.  New Bontrager bars on the way, should arrive in a day or so.  I chose them because my daughters Trek, one of the bikes I played around with, has them, and I got on with them much better even on an overall less comfortable frame.

It just goes to show that a showroom fitting, however carefully done, is no substitute for actual experience on the road.

So I'm persisting with the green machine, and should replace the bars this weekend . . . .I doubt if much else will be happening . . . .

Best wishes to everyone.

Lewis

Drop bars are best. Keep trying!
Happy New Year
John

lewis noble

« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2018, 06:51:26 pm »
Update . . . . I've now done several short rides on the Audax, getting better all the time.  More cold weather and ice forecast, but hopefully I'll be able to get out more soon - January was difficult because of hours of practicing for a difficult concert . . . now over.

I replaced the bars, and as mentioned above, a great improvement.  At first, I was pretty discouraged and seriously contemplated returning the bike, but the new bars have reassured me that I will beat the beast.  I've put 28mm Gatorshells on, as per anto, and the ride is firmer than on the Supremes, but I think faster - time will tell.  The Thorn velo saddle suits well enough at the moment, but I may swap that, again for anto's fizik - looks ok for me and he sounds like a sensible fellow.

Having got the bars set up the way that suits me, I got tape to put on . . . . . not as easy as it looks on the videos!!  Nowhere near as neat as Dave and his team got it . . . . . but it will do for now and I might choose better quality tape and get someone more practiced to do it.  I could waste a lot of money getting it right . . . . but I do want it to look tidy.

So all in all, after c 45 years on straight bars, I'm pretty pleased with the way things are going.  The Audax is very stable and secure feeling, and I like being able to change back posture. 

My dtr-in-law bought a new bike last Autumn, she is a fit and active 33ys old.  Pinnacle Arkose.  Nicely made, though gears are too tight a range for her to manage some Sheffield hills.  And she cannot get the posture right!  Very short steerer tube limits options, but I have bought her the same bars as I now have (Bontrager VR-S) and a shorter angled stem, and I will swap things over soon.  So Thorn's policy of wide gear range and long steerer gets more support . . . .

Will post more photos soon.

Lewis

jags

« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2018, 07:00:30 pm »
God stuff Lewis safe riding ,i got a lovely 25 miles in today on my lovely audax best day we had in months so i made the most of it,anyway enjoy keep her clean.

btw what were you practicing   8)

anto.

lewis noble

« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2018, 07:17:06 pm »
I'm a keen amateur trombonist . . . . Ravels Bolero, tricky and you're on your own. And some Gershwin too.  But all ok on the night.

Take care, anto.

jags

« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2018, 09:05:23 pm »
good stuff i love all music,
im listening to a great album (vinal) Al Di Mealo Splendido hotel brilliant, next up is Chuck Mangione  ..feels so good brilliant album.
but at heart im a led zeplin  man when i play zep i play it loud  yeah i know i'm a geek but what can i say.
great to hear a good musician .

anto