Author Topic: New Audax on the way . . . .  (Read 29613 times)

PH

Re: New Audax on the way . . . .
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2017, 09:44:32 pm »
Very nice, hope you have many happy miles together.
I wouldn't be in a hurry to change the bars, if you've not ridden drops in a while any are going to take some getting used to.
There doesn't look to be a lot of clearance under the guards, OK on clean Tarmac, but I wouldn't be happy with it on any of my routes.  Not for any safety reasons, but when I ride my bike with close clearance (Not as close as that)  I end up having to stop and clear the muck from acting as a drag brake!
Does the Audax only have one set of rear eyelets?  I was disappointed that the Mercury does, I'd have preferred to be able to remove rack or mudguards without it effecting the other.  I assumed it was to accommodate the disc brake, but if Thorn are doing the same on non disc models it's hard to fathom the reasoning.

lewis noble

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2017, 11:54:07 pm »
Hello PH

Yes, the clearance is tight, with 32 Supremes, I think normally the max size on other tyres is 28. I went for the Supremes because I have found them so good on slippery urban and rural surfaces  - no 28 available. In summer, I'll probably put 28s on, perhaps the Contis that Anto likes so much. Open minded about tyres.

Lewis

lewis noble

« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2017, 12:01:09 am »
Trying again . . .

rualexander

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2017, 09:42:06 am »
Your brake quick release levers are open in those photos, in case you hadn't noticed?

lewis noble

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2017, 11:38:43 am »
Thanks Rual . . . No, I hadn't noticed and I need to get into the habit of checking . . .

jags

« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2017, 01:41:29 pm »
Lewis can't really view those photos (to big) but i have no doubt it's only CLASS,i had the surpeams on the sherpa great tyres but the conti's are way better the 28 is plenty wide enough 90psi seems to be the sweet spot for me  but each to there own on pressure  ;D

why all the spacers  i only need 3 on mine .
anyway best of luck tail winds.

anto.

lewis noble

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2017, 01:59:15 pm »
Hello Anto - been waiting to hear from you! What took you so long?! Will swap tyres in the Spring I expect. Weather has broken out all the potholes around here again . . .

Spacers - will be sorted out once bars decided on, and as new stem needed (I have a 7 set one which should be fine) spacers will probably be reduced. I agree that fewer probably better, but better too many than too few on a new build. 

lewis noble

« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2017, 02:00:25 pm »
7 degrees not 7 set . . .

PH

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2017, 02:20:12 pm »
I'm a little surprised in the last photo that the brake blocks are only half way down the slot, rather than at the bottom like on the rear brake.  Just had a look in the mega brochure and all the 853 forks seem to have the blocks at the bottom, that's an extra few useful mm of clearance when running larger tyres.  Are you sure everything is adjusted to maximise it?

lewis noble

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2017, 02:45:55 pm »
Hello PH . . . The blocks seem fine when brakes applied, well clear of the tyres - yes, perhaps in the outer section of the rim brake track but no problem at present.  I guess that is the sort of thing I will need to keep an eye on as the pads wear and bed in, and thank for pointing up the need to check periodically.  I hesitate to alter brake settings as I can never get them squeal free, which is why my Sherpa has brakes with cartridge blocks - removable pads - so they are still as sjsc set them up >2 years ago.  Perhaps these brakes have removable pads as well? is that what the little screw is for? I have a lot to learn, and have not ploughed through the sheaf of instruction leaflets yet . . .

Lewis

rualexander

« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2017, 03:44:02 pm »
Yes those brakes are cartridge style with removable pads. But, by the time you come to change them you might find the tiny allen screw has seized and rounds off when you try to remove it! This has happened to me a few times.
Now I tend not to bother and just change the whole thing or use non cartridge style blocks.

jags

« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2017, 06:17:07 pm »
Hello Anto - been waiting to hear from you! What took you so long?! Will swap tyres in the Spring I expect. Weather has broken out all the potholes around here again . . .

Spacers - will be sorted out once bars decided on, and as new stem needed (I have a 7 set one which should be fine) spacers will probably be reduced. I agree that fewer probably better, but better too many than too few on a new build.
Lewis i have  serious bad toothache dancing about the place this 3 feckin days i'm praying i can get to a dentist in the morning fingers crossed.
great bike my friend enjoy hope the weather picks up soon .it not to bad over here  cold  but  seen worse.i havent been cycling in 6 weeks taking a break.
anto

jags

« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2017, 04:46:32 pm »
2 teeth pulled im in feckon agony away to me bed :'( :'(

anto
the toothless wonder.

lewis noble

« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2017, 05:28:32 pm »
Brick thrown out of window, piece of string round the tooth, Anto? Not pleasant, good luck with it.

Been out today, will write up when I get the chance . . . Bars definitely for changing, no other major issues, more to follow in day or so.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2017, 07:54:12 pm »
Oh  :o Poor Anto! :'( Good thoughts are with you.

Looking forward to your road reports, Lewis. Take care as well.

Best,

Dan.