Author Topic: New Audax on the way . . . .  (Read 29628 times)

ridgeback63

Re: New Audax on the way . . . .
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2017, 01:47:11 pm »
Hi Lewis,I live in Ilkeston

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2017, 07:47:18 pm »
Updates, Lewis? :D

Best,

Dan.

lewis noble

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2017, 07:59:40 pm »
New Audax no longer on the way - arrived!

Delivered to my son's work in a huge box yesterday late afternoon - only just managed to squeeze it into the campervan to get it home.  No signs of damage, though some penetration type injuries to box. (Box now being enjoyed by grandchildren!)

No photos yet, I'm afraid, I set the bike up, rode it round the block a couple of times, now in garage as the weather is bad tonight, forecast to get worse . . . and we're off for a long weekend away so it's secured up.

First impressions - beautifully made, everything works v smoothly.  BRG is a deep rich green - I would have been happy with any colour except fuschia, but especially wanted one of the Imron finishes - supposedly stronger?? The Supreme tyres (700 x 32) are a tight fit, but it all works, and I have been very impressed with these tyres on Sherpa - I may swap them to something else in the summer weather.  My spare Thorn Velo saddle fitted - suits me well enough. 

The bike is very comfortable and lively, ok on a short stretch of cobbles near where we live.  Riding position fine, though I think I will be flipping the stem to get the bars marginally higher and, in the future, cutting down the steerer tube - once I'm sure! I think the flipped stem will suit me better - may need to be shorter, I have a few alternatives in spares box - and will enable me to make it look better proportioned.  But it was amazing how accurate the basic set-up was, Thorn always seem to get it right in my experience. 

The Tubus Airey rack looks good, and is in fact wide enough on the top for a small pencil-case sized bag I often use - with some thin bungee cord I will make up. 

I reckon I may review the bars - the drop seems too low, the vertical  distance between hoods and drops too great - but not much alternative available on the Thorn list as far as I can see.  For review, no rush.  My main concern is how I will get on with drops, especially in urban riding - I last rode drops in 1968!! apart from a few short trials on borrowed / loaned bikes . . . I seem to have to get down too low too operate the brakes properly, but I am of course used to the Sherpa with my fingers on / near the levers and able to apply brakes strongly and instantly - but these are things I will have to try out - I hope the weather improves.

Photos will phollow on my return from holiday . . . . will be working from a phone so unlikely to respond to comments for a few days after tomorrow.

Lewis

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2017, 08:39:55 pm »
Congratulations and thanks for the followup, Lewis!
(Box now being enjoyed by grandchildren!)
I'm guessing they are enjoying it as much as you are the bike! ;D
I reckon I may review the bars - the drop seems too low, the vertical  distance between hoods and drops too great...
I found the same and a switch to short-reach/compact drops and a change in stem length did me fine. A nice set of randonneur 'bars as I have on my three rando bikes isn't a bad choice, thanks to the nice upward bend on the tops and slight flare on the shallow/compact drops.

Looking forward to photos when you return, Lewis.

All the best,

Dan.

geocycle

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2017, 12:16:25 pm »
My main concern is how I will get on with drops, especially in urban riding - I last rode drops in 1968!! apart from a few short trials on borrowed / loaned bikes . . . I seem to have to get down too low too operate the brakes properly, but I am of course used to the Sherpa with my fingers on / near the levers and able to apply brakes strongly and instantly - but these are things I will have to try out - I hope the weather improves.

I know what you mean!  I really struggled with the drop bars on my son's bike after 30 years of not using them.  I find it much easier to ride one handed and brake on flat bars while signalling than on drops.  As you say this is more of an urban issue.  There is also that worrying moment when you grab for fresh air!  Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

lewis noble

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2017, 08:19:45 pm »
Update - more sleet and snow overnight, roads clear but very sticky with salty mush =, so not a lot to report.  I've sat on the bike quite a bit, and yes, more compact bars needed.  I never realised that drop bars varied so much.  I think the upgrade bars offered on the Audax, PRO-PLT, are still to deep and long, most likely choice at the moment are Bontrager VRC - and I have a 31.8 stem of the right angle etc as well, from a sort-out of my daughter's Trek. 

I don't think the Bontrager bars have a cable channel, I don't know how important that is, I doubt if it matters much and I think my daughter's Trek has those bars and they feel fine. 

It's a long time since I re-taped bars - some websites suggest that they have to be wound different ways and differently in different parts of the bars, to cope with the stresses caused by the riders grip - I doubt if that will be an issue for me, but I don't recall it being that difficult.  I doubt if I'll get it as neat as Dave Whittle and his colleagues, though.

Photos before too long I hope.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2017, 08:34:34 pm »
I don't think the Bontrager bars have a cable channel, I don't know how important that is...
It won't matter, really. The channels are rarely large enough to completely sink the cable housings anyway. Taping and/or padding will bridge the gap over the housing nicely. Just be sure the housing is located under the 'bars or to the inside so you won't be resting your hands uncomfortably in it.

Before using handlebar tape, I secure the housings to the 'bars using vinyl electrical tape. Makes the job oh-so-much easier and faster.

I usually begin taping from the ends, so successive wraps are shingled over the ones below and are less likely to curl at the edges due to hand pressure over time. It last longer for me this way. As an added touch, I mirror the wraps on each side...in other words, if I start wrapping outside-to-in on the right, I also wrap outside-to-in on the left. Just an added sign of care.

You'll do fine; all encouragement.  :)

All the best,

Dan.

lewis noble

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2017, 01:09:09 pm »
Will try and post photos . . .

lewis noble

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2017, 01:24:07 pm »
More I hope

lewis noble

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2017, 02:18:57 pm »
Tried to post photo of bars/front end, but kept getting error messages. Not to worry. Revised bars will change appearance quite a bit anyway.

lewis noble

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2017, 02:51:53 pm »
I'm hoping the Audax will be ok on hills . . . . but I think I'd need a quadruple chain ring to manage that one!

John Saxby

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2017, 04:04:17 pm »
Very nice, Lewis. The dark green is splendid--not so common these days, but a lovely colour.

Be interested to hear about your gearing and the hills. On my ti-framed derailleur bike, I have a 24-36-48 triple at the front, and an 11-32 at the rear.  That gives me a low of 20.6 gear-inches.  For me, that's OK for hills up to 12% or so, and a couple of kms of climbing; anything more requires a real effort.  My Raven, by comparison, has three gears below 20: 3rd is 19.8, 1st is 15.4.  Much more flexible, and that's why I'm taking it with me to Oz, where the hills in the Queensland/NSW border ranges are often 15% and more.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2017, 04:20:50 pm »
Tried to post photo of bars/front end, but kept getting error messages. 
The Forum attachment software gets a bit shaky when handling large file sizes. Best chances for success come if the uploaded photo is reduced in size before uploading.

A lovely machine uou have there, Lewis, in a gorgeous color. I feel sure you'll get things sorted soon enough. A simple change in 'bar shape can do wonders to make the cockpit feel like home.

All the best,

Dan.

lewis noble

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2017, 05:09:42 pm »
Thanks guys - not sure how to resize photos from android phone, will transfer to computer. My lowest gear on the Audax is around 19 ins I think, John, I've got the widest possible range of gearing. I'm happy with that - Sherpa is 16 ins, but probably better at v low speeds anyway. I guess the Audax will be better on gently undulating terrain, which is ok with me. First significant ride will probably be Monday.

Fiddling with bikes most of today - sorting out daughter's 30 yr old Norco . . . She loves it, but found it hard to carry up 2 flights of stairs where she now lives! Seat post seized . . . Oh dear.

Lewis

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2017, 07:50:08 pm »
...not sure how to resize photos from android phone...
It varies by Android edition and device/app, but for the default app, there is usually an option for resizing in the gallery (where the photos are stored after taking). Usual options are 10%, 25%, 50% and 74% of original size. Just look at the file size for a typical, unaltered photo and pick a reduction that will result in file size of ~400 for Forum uploads. <25% on a recent Android phone will likely do the trick. It might take a little experimentation.

Looking forward to your Monday ride report, Lewis. Hoping the weather is favorable enough to allow it.

All the best,

Dan.