Author Topic: New Audax on the way . . . .  (Read 29608 times)

lewis noble

New Audax on the way . . . .
« on: November 22, 2017, 04:53:19 pm »
Hello

As I mentioned in a thread on tyres, I have ordered a new-build Audax. 

I've often rambled on about how good my Sherpa is, and I still think that 100%.  Round town, the braking, flat bars, good wheels etc makes a bike with few equals in my opinion . . . on tracks / lanes in bad weather as well.  But on longer rides, on good surfaces (e.g. my ride from Brittany to Limoges in France last year) it was fine . . .but not at it's best.  I hope to get back to France next Spring, and would welcome something that would lope along better.

I remember Dan the Oregon Sage suggesting when I was considering the Sherpa that I looked at Club Tour or Audax , but to save money I swapped the components from my Ripio (another superb bike) to a light Sherpa frame.  So now, I'll end up spending more by trying to save money . . .

It's now about 45 years since I rode drop bars, and I was quite worried about this.  I had a go on my daughters bike, and Evans Cycles loaned me one of their sportif bikes for a trial ride, a Carbon Fuji.  I got the hang of the bars and STI quite easily.

Several months ago, I sent my details, bike measurements etc to SJSC and Dave Whittle reckoned I needed a 555S.  I had quite fancied the Audax 550 advertised on the web as an EX TEST bike, with a double and a huge 11 sp chain ring.  I calculated that a 550 should do for me.  But my visit to Thorn confirmed what Dave thought, the 555S is better, and I ended up with reservations about the already built bike with the 11 - 46 cassette.

So I bit the bullet and ordered a new build.  Gunmetal, a colour I liked. Wide range 11 - 36 cassette, and some modest upgrades to wheels, brakes, shifters . . . . modest on their own but they sure add up.

DT Swiss rims and Supreme tyres.

The Sherpa? That will still get plenty of use.

It should be ready week before Christmas, more details then.  As always, it was good to see Dave and the others and I was well advised and cared for I reckon. Thanks Sarah.

Lewis

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: New Audax on the way . . . .
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 07:09:37 pm »
All congratulations on the forthcoming Audax, Lewis. Looking forward to photos and reports on this one!

All the best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 07:24:42 pm »
Well done Lewis .love my Audax climbing hills is a doddle on the audax .I got a probike fit on mine made a big difference.I have lower back problems i can now ride more miles almost pain free.look forward to the photos.

ridgeback63

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 09:23:47 am »
Awesome Lewis,I brought the other test Audax,the gunmetal 570 and it's a superb bike,goes up any hill round here (Derbyshire) and very comfortable,I swapped the 23mm tyres for some 28mm Durano's and the bar tape for some quality Lizard skins,put a Brooks Cambrain C17 carved on her and thats about it,looking forward to see the pictures of your new bike.

leftpoole

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 10:26:19 am »
Lewis,
Well done and enjoy the Audax when it arrives.
I too was down at Thorn a week or so back. I purchased another Audax in green with 853 Reynolds forks. It has now been built in my spare bedroom and pictures should follow.....
Enjoy!
John

geocycle

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 10:46:24 am »
Very interested to know how you find the audax Lewis. That would probably my n+1, or perhaps a Mercury! I do love my RST but....

lewis noble

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 01:30:26 pm »
Patience, Geo!!  By the way, I think you are based in North Lancashire? Not flooded out I hope? Or cycle tracks washed away?

geocycle

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 03:27:21 pm »
Patience, Geo!!  By the way, I think you are based in North Lancashire? Not flooded out I hope? Or cycle tracks washed away?

Record 24h rainfall and almost up to the bottom bracket, managed to keep the rohloff out of the water though.  Snow and ice today in Cumbria, hills looked fantastic but turned back because of ice.

PH

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2017, 12:32:30 pm »
I do love my RST but....
What's the but?
I've always had an Audax type bike since I started cycling a couple of decades ago and have done a fair few Audax, but my preferences have changed and it hardly gets ridden.  I'm hoping the new Mercury will replace both the Audax and Touring bikes (My touring preferences have also changed, more miles less camping).

PH

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2017, 12:40:02 pm »
Gunmetal, a colour I liked. Wide range 11 - 36 cassette, and some modest upgrades to wheels, brakes, shifters . . . . modest on their own but they sure add up.

DT Swiss rims and Supreme tyres.

The S
Sounds a good setup, that gunmetal is a lovely finish, I'd only seen it on the website it's even better than I expected. 
Ha, I know what you mean about the "extras" I started off with a budget, then once over it must have gone a little mad!  With all my major purchases if it's the right thing the price is easily forgotten.

lewis noble

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2017, 05:11:31 pm »
Hello again, sorry, I've been working off my phone the last couple of days, and hadn't noticed the posts from John, Ridgeback PH etc.  Thanks for comments.  Ridgeback, where in Derbyshire are you? I'm in Broomhill, Sheffield, and Ringinglow, Stanedge etc is one of my favourite routes . . . PM if you prefer . . .

Lewis

lewis noble

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2017, 05:51:17 pm »
Sent you a PM, John . . .

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2017, 10:33:50 pm »
Nice one Lewis, hope you have lots of fun. I'm also looking at getting an Audax. Like Geo, I love my RST but she is soooo heavy. Love the Rohloff gears but the weight :( I did my back in and aggrivated my shoulder recently heaving Scout on and off trains so I'm after something really light. Think I've got a name for it but can't decide on the colour. Waiting to see pictures of your new baby.

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

lewis noble

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 11:47:07 am »
Waiting for delivery, which should be some time today - sp be patient, Janet!  In fact, mine will be BRG Imron, not gunmetal, it turned out that they were out of stock of gunmetal in my size.  No problem, perfectly OK with either. 

Lewis

leftpoole

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2017, 02:47:32 pm »
Waiting for delivery, which should be some time today - sp be patient, Janet!  In fact, mine will be BRG Imron, not gunmetal, it turned out that they were out of stock of gunmetal in my size.  No problem, perfectly OK with either. 

Lewis

Lewis,
Enjoy!
I have BRG waiting here new never taken outside yet,
John