Author Topic: tyre advice  (Read 5065 times)

in4

tyre advice
« on: November 21, 2017, 09:50:28 am »
Wishing to encourage  a mate to get back on his racer Santa will be buying him tyres to replace the perished Vittoria Competition Olympionicos. Any suggestions for a good all rounder?
Thanks

jags

Re: tyre advice
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 12:16:02 pm »
Conti hardshell gatorskins  fantastic tyre. 700.28 on my audax
 8)

in4

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 01:56:27 pm »
Thanks Anto. Folding or wired?

jags

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 05:03:27 pm »
folding all the way. 8)i think i found the sweet spot at 90psi  a lot would argue with that but certainly feels perfect for me.
bought mine from CRC no postage ,happy days.

anto.

in4

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 06:37:40 pm »
Thanks or Class as someone might say  :)

jags

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 08:46:01 pm »
no bother  ;D

martinf

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 09:04:31 pm »
IMO a high quality tyre in 28 is better than something narrower, no slower but more comfortable. But make sure 700x28 will fit his frame.

I've got a racing-style frame in the garage that will take 700x25 max without mudguards. That frame is too small for me, so the minimal tyre clearance doesn't matter, frame will be donated or sold.

As an alternative to Continental, I am quite pleased with the Schwalbe One 700x28 tyres on my lightweight 700C derailleur bike.

lewis noble

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 09:33:14 pm »
Hello Martinf . . . . How do you find the Schwalbe Ones 700-28 on wet roads?? No tread as far as I can see, any problems??

I'm interested because . . . . I have ordered an Audax . . . . of which more in a later post.  Being built up for me by Thorn.  I've ordered Supremes 700-32, but that can be reviewed . . .

I'll post again.

Lewis

martinf

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 06:15:24 am »
Hello Martinf . . . . How do you find the Schwalbe Ones 700-28 on wet roads?? No tread as far as I can see, any problems??

I'm interested because . . . . I have ordered an Audax . . . . of which more in a later post.  Being built up for me by Thorn.  I've ordered Supremes 700-32, but that can be reviewed . . .

The Schwalbe One 700-28 are on a bike that I try and avoid using in wet/dirty conditions, because I don't want the hassle of cleaning the derailleur gearing too often. On that bike they suit the rims and mudguard setup better than wider tyres, which I generally prefer.

But just before I finished building up my Raven Sport Tour I rode that bike to a meeting about 50 kms away. The outward trip was calm and very cold, with occasional icy patches, the weather changed during the day and the homeward trip during the night was in a storm (high winds, branches on the road, heavy rain). I had no problems with the tyres.

I don't think the lack of tread matters much on a road-going tyre. Supremes don't really have much tread either. I use the 26" x 50mm version of the Supremes on my two Raven Tour bikes and find them to be a very good tyre for use on roads with occasional forays onto paths and tracks.

I reckon Schwalbe One 700-28 should be faster than Supreme 700-32, slightly less comfortable, significantly less durable and probably more likely to puncture.

lewis noble

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 10:02:20 am »
Thanks Martin, reassuring feedback. 

Clearances are tight on the Audax, according to the massivebrochure, but they tell me it works, so that is what I have gone for and will stick with it.  Compared to the cost of the bike (doesn't the invoice total box mount up!!) the cost of having alternative tyres is minimal.

Lewis

PH

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 12:01:40 pm »
All tyres are a compromise and all rounders depend on what circle you're talking about!
My favourite road tyre is by far the Conti GP4S but they're £65 a pair and they're not the cheapest or the longest lasting.  But great grip, fast and reasonable puncture protection. For a long time my affordable compromise has been the vittoria rubino pro folding, but having just looked for a link I see there's now a dozen variations and none of them are cheap!
Jags is spot on about the importance of tyre pressure, but the ideal will depend on the load, so different between riders and also different front and back.  A good starting point is to aim for 15% drop, a reasonable guide here
https://www.evanscycles.com/coffeestop/advice/how-to-get-the-perfect-tyre-pressure-on-your-road-bike

++ for the opinion that 28mm tyres would be better than narrower if they fit.

And this -  Good for you to encourage someone back on the bike, but I find it hard to imagine that the lack of tyres kept them off it.  If you're not optimistic that they'll get used I'm not sure I'd want to spend on the best, there's plenty of reasonable tyres at the budget end.  Do you know why they haven't been cycling?