Author Topic: Ex box cable cutting  (Read 2333 times)

PH

Ex box cable cutting
« on: November 19, 2017, 07:03:35 pm »
Quick question - I'm cabling an Ex box for the first time, I've watched the Rohloff youtube instructions that looks pretty straightforward except the shifter isn't quite the same as the one I have.  When measuring to cut the inner cable, the instruction is to pull it taught against the stop, measure 200mm and cut - BUT the image seems to show the shifter stopping at the number, mine goes a little past it, not a huge amount but if I follow the instruction, when I should cut with the sifter on the number, I'll be cutting each around 15mm short!! 
I know the good folk at SJS could answer this in a jiffy, but I was hoping to finish tonight and get my living room back!
So if it's still Sunday and you know the answer, please tell, thanks.

mickeg

Re: Ex box cable cutting
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 07:25:07 pm »
I am quite certain that I did not look at the numbers on the shifter when I did mine.

I am sure I pulled mine tight, but I think I then left a few extra mm of cable, assuming that the adjusting screws are long enough to take up the extra.  That worked fine.

PH

Re: Ex box cable cutting
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 11:21:25 pm »
Thanks sorted now, pulling tight and cutting left a lot of slack at the shifter. it could be taken out with the adjusters but I didn't want to do that so opened it up and cut a bit of each. It could just be the shifter is worn...