Author Topic: Ebay: Raven Sport Tour Alfine £675 BIN or BO  (Read 5991 times)

energyman

Re: Ebay: Raven Sport Tour Alfine £675 BIN or BO
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 03:53:14 pm »
It's beautiful !

jacklord1961

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 04:56:53 pm »
Managed to buy my first thorn,and it looks in good condition.should be with me early next week.As a novice if in the future is it easy to replace alfine hub with a rohloff,just out of interest?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 05:02:04 pm »
...is it easy to replace alfine hub with a rohloff...
Yes, provided the process is well lubricated by the application of money.  ;)

Welcome!, congratulations, and all the best,

Dan.

jacklord1961

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 06:09:00 pm »
Haha thanks Dan.I will see how I get on with the alfine 8 first,at least I know its possible.I will give her a test run next week regardless of weather,thanks again

PH

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 11:12:52 am »
Congrats on the new bike, it looks in great nick and an absolute steal at that price.
You might get on fine with the Alfine, I have one in a folder and am considering one for another bike, the gaps are inconsistent and some of them are quite large, but other than that I like it.  Doesn't have the gear range or legendary longevity of a Rohloff, but at the risk of being burnt at the stake as a heretic, in some ways I prefer it :o

humedavid

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 12:53:32 pm »
Congrats on the new bike, it looks in great nick and an absolute steal at that price.
You might get on fine with the Alfine, I have one in a folder and am considering one for another bike, the gaps are inconsistent and some of them are quite large, but other than that I like it.  Doesn't have the gear range or legendary longevity of a Rohloff, but at the risk of being burnt at the stake as a heretic, in some ways I prefer it :o
+1 for Alfine
I have been using an Alfine mtb for 2 weeks now, only bought it because it was cheap. I really like the Alfine, enough for the commute. It does make some noise in gear 4, but only if shifting from below and only shifts down to 6 from 7 (I think) if not pedalling at all. These I can live with and it's probably a sign of needing maintenance anyway.

sd

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 01:14:20 pm »
-10 for the alfine I find it horrendous reattaching the cable when putting the wheel back on. 

jacklord1961

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 08:57:38 pm »
Bike arrived today via seller who transported it himself for small fee.Excellent condition apart from very feint scratch on cross bar practically mint condition  :) Looks brand new. I gave it a short run out to test alfine gears and impressed on the flat but may take it through its paces with a few hills later in the week,but great value for money  ;)

jags

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 11:48:19 pm »
well done lovely bike keep her clean tail winds

anto. ;)

humedavid

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2017, 10:10:16 pm »
-10 for the alfine I find it horrendous reattaching the cable when putting the wheel back on.

I found it fairly easy. Once I did put the cable back wrong upon assembly, I missed one little metal "ear"
 when I was weaving it in and out. It was easy to notice as there were no gears at all!  :D

(this is not me on the video)

RobertL

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2017, 03:34:02 pm »
My RST with Alfine 8 is over 12,000 miles of reliable service (90% commuting). Remember to back pedal while changing gears, am told this will extend the life. I change the cable once a year, when it gets the oil changed/dipped.

Using 150 watts as a datum and with a 42/18 set up, I think the Alfine is OK up to 7% gradient - 75kg rider plus 12 kg touring load. A 42/22 set up might get you up to 10%.

energyman

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2017, 09:09:25 pm »
I don't know what Shimano have changed on their Alfines but it is now dead easy to drop the back wheels on my three alfine equipped bikes.  NOT as easy as dropping a Rohloff X-Box ed wheel though !!  I think the Nexus ones are a bit more fiddly.  The bike in the gif above looks like a Cube Editor or Hyde.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 09:11:58 pm by energyman »

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2017, 10:20:25 pm »
Looks almost the same as my Scout (except larger). Safe and happy cycling.

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

jacklord1961

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2017, 10:36:07 am »
Finally took her out around the back country lanes of Ormskirk yesterday. No rain at last yippeeee 8) a real joy to ride but no serious hills so they will have to wait for the spring  ;).I'm so pleased I found this site as everyone is really helpful and I'm seriously lacking in maintenance knowledge, so Haynes bike book on my list from Santa haha,roll on summer