Technical > General Technical

Brooks spring nut

(1/3) > >>

JimK:
A nut fell off my Brooks saddle, as I reported in a ride report. There is talk of the proper size being 9/32 and probably Whitworth threading. I got the Brooks replacement... seems like 9/32 is the diameter of the threading on the bolt. The nut itself is 1/2 inch, i.e. it takes a 1/2 inch wrench.

It was tricky to get the nut started. But an open end wrench had no problem getting in there to snug it down. I did put some thread lock in there!

Danneaux:
Yay! Sure glad you're sorted now, Jim. Good job!

I was looking through my tools today and found my Whitworth thread gauge...on the other side of my metric (Metrische) thread gauge, which I use almost daily! I knew it was here somewhere, but it has been long enough since I used the Whitworth portion I'd forgotten.  ::)  I wish I was a bit closer to you so I could have checked the size for you directly. Got this about 35 years ago when I needed to repair my late father's 1938 Hercules bicycle (now mine).

All the best,

Dan.

Andre Jute:
That's not all, Dan. I'm buying some very fine palm chisels from Pheil in Switzerland to make a lino or woodblock carving to print a few Christmas cards in a limited edition. I too was sorting tools, checking whether any of my oil- and Japanese water-stones are the right grit and size (all too bloody big -- and a properly shaped Arkansas slipstone is expensive this side of the water). Lying in a toolbox I looked into was a huge spanner (wrench to Americans) stamped on each side in two gauges, Whitworth and BSC. Hey, hey, hey, didn't someone mention British Standard Cycle the other day? I appears that they're compatible, except that x measure in Whitworth is equivalent to y measure in BSC. And I already reported that, looking through my large spanners with the metric-head Rohloff sprocket socket in hand, I found that a Whitworth spanner was a tight fit.

The threads may be different for a reason (at a time when it was understood that a reason to be good was rational, not your feelings), but the nuts' across-the-flats distance is the same for economy in buying tools. Looks like those old guys weren't so wayward after all.

JimK:
I ended up getting a bolt + nut combo, because that's what I could find. Studying the bolt, looks like 20 threads per inch. It'd really pass for 1/4 inch outer diameter. That seems to match Whitworth: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Standard_Whitworth

jags:
better off buying buying a modern saddle like the Fizik alanti carbon   probable best saddle ever made .those brooks are to heavy need to much looking after and yeah they fall apart get them out buy a decent saddle and be done with it.

anto.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version