Author Topic: Audax  (Read 4159 times)

RST Scout

• Janet
Audax
« on: November 10, 2017, 05:21:26 pm »
Hi All,

What's an Audax like on trails or roads w/chippings? (Lightweight, drops, 700x30c Schwalbe G-One Speed (tubeless) etc)

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

jags

Re: Audax
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 05:45:17 pm »
Wouldn't have a clue Janet  not many trails in my part of the  world,mind u the roads are  rough enough to let a fella know he was on a good tough spin ,bike handles them  no problem  ;)
so what's your plan going off road.

anto.

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 07:25:46 pm »
Hi Anto,

I live very near the Trans-Pennine-Trail and also the Leeds-to-Liverpool canal. I use them to stay away from the traffic. Both obviously rougher than your average tarmac but round here much of the road surface has chippings (murder on a 23c tyre) and craters (optimistically called pot-holes). The cycle tracks have roots cracking them. Not much fun for my shoulder.

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

DAntrim

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 10:29:50 pm »
Hi Janet

Can't speak for an audax but I rode the tans-pennine and leeds liverpool regularly on 32c supremes and found them comfortable enough, but moved up to 35c's made for an even nicer ride.

Carlos

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 11:15:17 pm »
Thanks for your input, Carlos.

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

jags

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 11:22:05 pm »
Janet will your Audax take 32 tyres?, mine is 28 max big difference in comfy from  23mm.
you will more than likely need  threaded tyres for grip .
mind that shoulder Janet  ;)

anto.

Donerol

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 12:29:48 pm »
I have an Audax Mk3 shod with 28mm RibMos  (and mudguards).  I find it surprisingly comfortable on tow paths, roughish roads and chippings, and gives a better ride than my Raven tour with 1.5" Marathon Greenguards. I don't know how much is due to the tyres and how much to the forks. Both bikes have drop bars. I'm quite light at 54 Kg.

edited to correct tyre size
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 03:07:59 pm by Donerol »

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 03:27:37 pm »
I have an Audax Mk3 shod with 28mm RibMos  (and mudguards).  I find it surprisingly comfortable on tow paths, roughish roads and chippings, and gives a better ride than my Raven tour with 1.5" Marathon Greenguards. I don't know how much is due to the tyres and how much to the forks. Both bikes have drop bars. I'm quite light at 54 Kg.

edited to correct tyre size

That's very interesting. I'm thinking on 700x30c Schwalbe G-One Speed tyres. Schwalbe indicate on their website that they can cope reasonably well with forest trails. I'm very small and light and I would not be going off-road that often. Just want the ability to do so if I wish. I also have a RST with Marathon Clssics 1.5" and have found them a bit slippy in our local pine Forrest trail. Maybe time to change Scout's tyres 'n all.

Anto, not sure iIf the limit is 31c or 32c. Probably getting 30c anyway. Not been cycling as much as I wanted. Scout is proving to be a might heavy if I want to take the train. :(

Janet
Feeling like n+1 coming up.

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

ridgeback63

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 05:29:49 pm »
I've got 28mm Schwalbe durano's on mine,they are a pretty tight fit with mudguards,if you look at the picture of my bike that I put up you can judge for yourself Janet,good luck and take it easy with that shoulder.

John Saxby

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 05:43:01 pm »
Janet, a note on actual vs advertised tire sizes:

The Schwalbes I've used (26 x 1.6 M'thon Supremes, and 700 x 35 M'thon Racers) have been up to 3 mm less than advertised width when inflated.

> The Racers measure 32 mm, not 35, and

> The Supremes are 39 mm, not 1.6"/40.6 mm

I've found this discrepancy to be common on other tires I've used, as well -- Conti's and Vittorias in the 700c size, and Maxxis and Compass tires in the 26". The difference betw adverised and actual differs, but is often around 3 mm.

Jan Heine says that rim width can affect the inflated width of a tire, and he's usually pretty good on this matter, but my Raven has a rear rim that's wider than the front, and the inflated widths of my Supremes, the Maxxis, and the Compass tires are all identical, front and rear, and they're all below advertised width. (Compass' adverts say that their tires' actual inflated width is as advertised.)

The only I have which is close to its advertised width is a Bontrager 700 x 32. Its actual inflated width is 31mm.

My experience suggests that a "32mm" Supreme might be 30 actual. So, you might have a bit more latitude than you think. Best to check with your supplier, and see what they say.

Good luck,

John

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 01:10:49 pm »
Thanks for that John, I'll bear it in mind.
Scout & Bettina's slave!

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 01:16:30 pm »
I also wanted to know, what kind of pump do I need to carry when on tour if I have tubeless. Sorry to seem thick, I've never used tubeless before.

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

Bill

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 01:47:17 am »
I also wanted to know, what kind of pump do I need to carry when on tour if I have tubeless. Sorry to seem thick, I've never used tubeless before.

Janet

What ever pump fits the valves on your tires.

Some tubeless set ups seem to leak a bit and need pumping up every day, but I have been lucky, no problems at all. You should probably carry a spare tube in case you get a leak that won't seal, you'd have to unseat the tire and put a tube in, as you would on a regular tubular set up.