Community > Cycle Tours

Canal Du Midi surface

(1/2) > >>

Bippers:
Is there anyone out there who can tell me the general condition of the Canal Du Midi cycle route. I have heard its a bit dodgy.

PH:
Dodgy in places would be more accurate, some parts are wide smooth tarmac, others are pretty rough, but it's all rideable on a touring bike as long as you're not in a hurry.  I rode parts of it from Toulouse to Carcassonne in 2014 and they were working on some sections then. 
I'd already ridden the Garonne from Bordeaux (Which is pretty much all good surface) so had probably had enough canal riding for one trip, when I got bored with dodging the holes and bumping over tree roots I'd find a road alternative.

Bippers:
Thanks PH. That is just what I had heard. We prefer tarmac, must be getting soft. Planning a ride from the Med to St Malo next year, avoiding the hills!!! 

Tigerbiten:
I'm a bit late with this reply but .......

If you look on the Open Cycle Map, the dotted part of the route beside the canal is the grass track section while the solid line tends to be macadam/tarmac sections.

In 2015 I did some of the grass track section on my recumbent trike but it was so slow (~5 mph) that I soon went back onto the road.

Pavel:

--- Quote from: Tigerbiten on November 26, 2017, 02:45:14 pm ---I'm a bit late with this reply but .......

If you look on the Open Cycle Map, the dotted part of the route beside the canal is the grass track section while the solid line tends to be macadam/tarmac sections.

In 2015 I did some of the grass track section on my recumbent trike but it was so slow (~5 mph) that I soon went back onto the road.

--- End quote ---

I'm intrigued by recumbents after two short rides on a trike and a recumbent.  Do you have any website of your riding adventures Tigerbiten, where I could check it out?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version