Author Topic: Nomad frame is not indestructible  (Read 6301 times)

martinf

Re: Nomad frame is not indestructible
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2017, 05:41:06 pm »
Sorry, 27.5 is right.

And the important number for me is the 584 ETRTO rim dimension.

Marlo

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2017, 01:23:49 am »
I had been considering a Thorn because of the impressive reading and detail of the Mega brochure, It was awesome reading the lessons and conclusions that Andy had documented over the years, and the durability that had been built into the Nomad.
  I will not go on an expedition most likely, but I ride almost everyday year round, my last bike was what I thought was a hardcore commuter failed without warning of any sign. (see photo)
    Franks photo of his cracked Nomad frame is what sold me on the Nomad, the separation of the top tube under the loads that Frank described in detail and he was still able to ride it hundreds of miles before he could get it replaced.

Everything is going to fatigue at some point, I was impressed that the remainder of the bike held together and was able to continue the way it should.

I am a person that enjoys maintaining my machine in every way, and do not hesitate to replace worn components when they reach suggested wear limits, I get pleasure when I wear something out.

Can't wait to get my first steel frame, and Rohloff, I have rode Alfine 8 for so long and was completely satisfied.
   I hope it will last me 12 years before the first crack or sign of failure.

mickeg

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2017, 02:52:34 am »
I had been considering a Thorn because of the impressive reading and detail of the Mega brochure, It was awesome reading the lessons and conclusions that Andy had documented over the years, and the durability that had been built into the Nomad....

Can't wait to get my first steel frame, and Rohloff, I have rode Alfine 8 for so long and was completely satisfied.
   I hope it will last me 12 years before the first crack or sign of failure.

The Nomad is a very robust frame.  I was very confident that the frame would hold up for the riding I do.  I have three touring bikes, the Nomad is the one I use for a heavy load. 

A side note - in the photo of mine I have a kickstand, but if you install a kickstand on yours that can void the warranty.  I only make that caution because I have one in the photos of mine.

Second photo, I have also swapped out the solid fork and put a suspension fork on it for mountain bike riding.