Author Topic: Portland Design Works Full Metal mudguards anyone used them?  (Read 103 times)

aggs

Portland Design Works Full Metal mudguards anyone used them?
« on: November 02, 2017, 11:12:53 AM »
On my Mercury I prefer to run 28mm tyres with mudguards.
However at the brake bridge there and rear wards the mudguards goes off a perfect radius and thus slightly less clearance with the tyre.
In winter condtions on mucky country roads (Scottish Borders )I can collect mud in the mudguard which slows the wheel down.
Lots of farm gates with mud across the road , and mud along the road from tractors etc.

In summer use and for the average rider this would not be an Issue, just I live up a remote road.

(not sure if the bolt fixing help things either!)

Have heard some good reports on these mudguards , has anyone used them?

I think the fixing is all external and no  bolt into frame from underneath at brake bridge.

Very fussy and do want a rattling mudguard!!

I am using Shimano road brakes with clearance for mudguards.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 11:14:25 AM by aggs »

PH

Re: Portland Design Works Full Metal mudguards anyone used them?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 02:32:24 PM »
Sorry no experience with PDW guards. I've looked at them a couple of times but the only time when the inclination and cash coincided they were out of stock...
(not sure if the bolt fixing help things either!)
The bolt fitting, like anything that protrudes will always collect crud.  I use a low profile button head to minimise this.  The disadvantage is the recess will fill with  the same crud unless you take steps to stop it ( I melt a bit of candle wax in them and it's always worked so far)

aggs

Re: Portland Design Works Full Metal mudguards anyone used them?
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 06:11:08 PM »
Thanks.
I read somewhere that there "true " arc was better than some other guards and hence gave a bit more clearance. But they do seem too expensive for what they are.