Author Topic: Raven Nomad S&S 562L  (Read 4891 times)

Bill

Raven Nomad S&S 562L
« on: November 03, 2017, 04:18:36 am »
 2007 about 10 000 km
Rohloff, 39x16
XTR V brakes, Rigida Andra Tungsten Carbide rims, Brooks V17 saddle, Tubus racks

Not quite ready for sale yet, but how much is it realistically worth?

( I know this is an invitation for people to low ball me and get a deal, but I really don't have a feeling what this should go for.)

in4

Re: Raven Nomad S&S 562L
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 04:34:41 am »
There's one on ebay uk for £2.5 k. I'd suggest that is an ambitious ask but you might be lucky.
Further details are however a must. Location? Oil changes? Close up photos?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 04:40:16 am by in4 »

Bill

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 02:23:09 pm »
There's one on ebay uk for £2.5 k. I'd suggest that is an ambitious ask but you might be lucky.
Further details are however a must. Location? Oil changes? Close up photos?

I'm just looking for a ballpark figure. I will post more details when its ready for sale.
I am in Canada which probably reduces the price I can get considerably, although it is S&S which should make it cheaper to ship.

sd

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 09:08:55 pm »
You have to remember a UK buyer (assuming that's what your after?) Will have to pay import duty with the hassle that entails. I am ignoring the payment problems. My best suggestion is sell in Canada /USA. If that is what your intention is then you need to look locally at what you can get. Odds are UK buyer would give you more if it wasn't for the hassle that would entail.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 09:18:08 pm »
My best suggestion is sell in Canada/USA. 
<nods> I'm inclined to agree. Thorns are scarce on this side of the Pond and suffer nowhere near the same levels of depreciation as in the UK.

Factor in the location and the lower shipping fees, perhaps no import or customs duties (if sold in Canada) and even a higher-than-UK asking price could look like a bargain -- the opposite of what you would face with a UK sale.

All good luck on the sale, Bill.

Best

Dan.
(...in the upper-left corner of the YewEssay)

humedavid

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 09:57:26 pm »
Might have been mentioned, but the Pound is low as well.... ( maybe only for me?  ::) )

Bill

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 02:02:20 am »
I looked locally and saw so few Rohloff bikes for sale that it was impossible to get a idea of what to ask, so i thought I would go to the source, so to speak, to get an idea. I really wasn't intending to sell it in the UK. I just thought you guys would have a better idea of what I could ask for it.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 02:53:35 am »
Bill,

You may wish to go back through the listings on the Bikes For Sale board here; I do recall seeing several American and Canadian-based Thorns for sale. Former forum member Vik Bannerjee sold both his Sherpa Mk2 and Nomad Mk1 with listings here and elsewhere. George (mickeg)...did you eventually get Vik's Sherpa? If I recall correctly, Vik was based in Victoria/Vancouver at the time and sold the bike across the border to a buyer in Portland who then sold it on to a Midwest American buyer. Maybe you?

Anyway, Bill, do a search on this board for username Vik and it should turn up some listings from around 2010-12.

Vik also listed the bikes in a couple iterations of his "Lazy Randonneur" blogsite. He listed selling prices there as well:
http://www.thelazyrandonneur.com/
His older site is here:
http://www.thelazyrandonneur.com/

The most recent American posting I recall was here:
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=12512.msg92768#msg92768

Asking price was USD$2,300. An offer for USD $2,000 was rejected. I corresponded off-list with the seller. The bike was in good shape but as I recall, but lacked S&S couplers and was a lower spec than yours. I have seen several go on American eBay for similar prices over the last several years. No current or recent completed US eBay listings come up in my searches at this time; they don't show up often.

I hope this helps.

Best,

Dan.

Bill

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 03:55:19 am »
Thanks Dan

I knew Vic when he lived in Calgary and had the bike. It was basically the same as mine. Vic was always buying and selling bikes.
He sold the frame when it was new and kept  all the other parts. I suppose if I go through the lazy rando blogs I can figure out what he did with the rest of the bike.

again, thanks.

Bill

John Saxby

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2017, 03:28:02 pm »
Bill, Torn bikes, and Nomads in particular, sometimes appear on crazyguy, in the Classifieds. Have you checked there for some reference points?

Just did a search:  There are two listed here, with lots of photos but no text: 
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/search/?main_type=classifieds&page=3&query=Thorn%20Nomad

For one of the two results, there is a phone # in the States which you could call.

Cheers,

John

Bill

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 07:09:37 pm »
Thanks John

I didn't even realize CGOAB had a for sale section, but good lord what a clunky interface when you use the search.
I've looked at pink bike and MEC and ebay, and have a feeling I would be lucky to get $1000 CAD for the bike.

I think I could get more in the UK, as people there know what a thorn is, but its like real estate, location, location location.

Current plan is to put the bike up for sale in the New Year.

John Saxby

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 09:45:37 pm »
Thanks, Bill.  A few thoughts --

Like you, I'm not at all sure what a used Thorn Nomad (or Raven) might fetch in N America. May be one of those situations where, if you find a person who's looking for that particular bike, you'd get a good price. OTOH, of course, the scarcity of the Nomad means that they're not well known, and hence most people would not pay a premium for that reason.

C$1,000 is just a little more than £600.  If we estimate that a new Nomad would cost, say, £2000 (~£2500 list less VAT), plus shipping (£200?) + 26% duty and GST ( = £2200 + 26% or £570) total £2770, or C$ 4600 rounded, then I'd ask -- could you ask about C$2000 - C$2500?  Does the bike's condition warrant that?

Another reference point would be a new Surly LHT: at or over C$2000 with good specs and GST.  You'd be offering a more robust bike with a Rohloff.