Author Topic: Should I return my hub to Rohloff?  (Read 9637 times)

Le-roi-du-camboui

Should I return my hub to Rohloff?
« on: November 01, 2017, 05:17:44 pm »
Hi everybody,

http://imageshack.com/a/img924/3615/Rvw2hJ.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img923/284/kPXbPi.jpg

As you can see on the pictures, My Rohloff Hub is loosing massive amounts of oil and as a consequence, it is dirty.

Oil leaks out from under the sprocket (a lot)  and out of the quick release axle (a bit)

I troubleshooted partially the lick on the OEM plate already, but that massive one on the sprocket side is a bit more tricky

What do you think? should Is there a way to resolve this persistent problem before returning the wheel for inspection?

I ordered a sprocket removal tool from SJSC to remove the sprocket to find out if there is something wrong behind it.

The hub is 6 years old and it has got approximately 25000 kms
The last oil change was few weeks ago and I put 15 ml of oil

Thanks a lot for your advice
I might contact Rolhoff to know what to do in that case

It is what happens when you buy a second hand hub...
If I send it to Rolhoff, I might pay a fortune to get it fixed

Tiberius

Re: Should I return my hub to Rohloff?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 06:22:20 pm »
PERSONALLY I would go 'Route One'....Email Rohloff and see what they say. Our opinions are nothing more than just that, our opinions. Whatever we say, ULTIMATELY you will have to contact Rohloff anyway, you might as well do it ASAP.

jags

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 09:11:40 pm »
in the words of that great philosopher Joe Soap.

it's KNACKERED send it back.

anto.

Le-roi-du-camboui

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 09:49:44 pm »
Thanks a lot for your answers;

I will email them tomorrow to see what they say..

In fact, I might have to return as it looks in bad shape :( I hope the bill won't be too salty
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 09:51:15 pm by Le-roi-du-camboui »

rualexander

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 09:51:25 pm »
The photos don't show 'massive amounts of oil', I can see nothing untoward there.
I wouldn't worry too much about it, but if you need reassurance contact Rohloff or speak to SJSC.

Andre Jute

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 12:19:54 am »
I agree with Rual. I can't see what is wrong. Your Rohloff box has less oil on it than mine, and I know for a fact oil on mine is just breather oil, perfectly normal; I wipe it off every New Year's day. If your hub doesn't make graunching noises, I would assume that:

a) it is simply condensation from the change in seasons (I've had pools of water under my hub, eventually traced by elimination to the heating coming on and switching off again at night, but terrifying before I learned how one lives with a Rohloff), or,

b) that you didn't drain the hub properly before you put in the 15ml of oil you mention.

There's no harm in writing to Rohloff or, if you're nearer to them, SJS. Better to look a bit silly than to have to buy a another box.

However, if you bought a secondhand box I assume you're on a budget, so you must consider the possibility that, to cover their own backsides, they will call in your box and disassemble it to be absolutely certain that they can give it a clean bill of health, and charge you for the labour since you aren't the first owner.

One more consideration: Do you have service records for the box from the previous owner? If the box has been regularly serviced (every year or every 5000km, whichever comes first, or close enough), then you shouldn't worry unless the box is audibly destroying itself, a very unlikely scenario.

See, according to Rohloff, as you clearly know if you know to put in only 15ml of oil, the oil that adheres immovably to the gears is enough to safeguard the internals against mishap for at least a year in any kind of use. This makes the box almost indestructible if it is serviced once a year, which is why I question any "problem" that isn't accompanied by the noise of a gearbox destroying itself. Even if the seals are damaged, personally I would wait to see how long the loss of oil persists, at least to ascertain that you didn't overfill the box by not draining the cleaning oil thoroughly.

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 08:46:51 am »
This looks like alot of hubs I get, very rarely do we have to send them to Rohloff.

First off add cleaning oil and ride, then remove drain plug and leave somewhere at room temperature overnight to make sure you get as much oil out as possible.

The remove the sprocket, clean the sprocket thoroughly so it looks new, clean the exposed seal, I find brake cleaner and a lint free cloth works best.

Inspect the tube section of the sprocket to make sure there is no grove worn in it, this will allow oil to flow under the seal, if in doubt replace.

Now remove the torx screws holding the axle plate on with the hub set so the concertina tubes are roughly equal, then remove the exposed T20 screw and pull the axle ring off.

Clean thoroughly the axle ring and inspect the rub ring on it for a grove as per sprocket, if this is worn  then return it to me and I can press a new one on.

Refit the sprocket with grease.

Refit the axle ring with new gaskets and screws.

Refill the hub with 15ml of oil.

This should now sort it. The only time this wont work is:

- If the external hub seals are damaged (you will be able to see this)
- The driver bearing seals are damaged (this would show as oil flowing out directly behind the alloy driver nut (which you should NEVER touch)

In both these cases you would need to send it to a Rohloff service partner to replace parts.

Hope this helps,

Dave Whittle

Thorn Workshop

Le-roi-du-camboui

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 01:06:55 pm »
Thanks a lot for your answers! that's really helpfull!

In fact, I bought a second hand box because my budget is tight but I always considered the possibility that I have to return it; The box was a good deal so I took the risk....

Now I don't have any service records of the previous owner and I have no proof that the hub has been regularly serviced

That's the reason I immediately proceeded an oil change and If I remember, I couldn't drain more than 25ml of liquid after injecting the cleaning oil inside the hub..  ...I potentially didn't drain the hub properly

The hub is not accompanied by the noise of a gearbox destroying itself but I must say it's really grindy and noisy in gears 1 to 7; As it's my first Rohloff hub, it's a bit surprising and I don't know where to position myself concerning this! is this usual or unusual?! I don't have any other hub to try out to compare.

I will follow Dave's instructions by tomorrow and I will let you know

Your messages help a lot, many thanks

I might have to replace the sprocket but It's going to be tricky to find one in Paris (SJSC is out of stock at the moment)

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 01:15:47 pm »
Threaded sprockets are no longer sold by Rohloff you now need a carrier https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/sprockets/rohloff-splined-sprocket-carrier-slim-8540s/ and splined sprocket https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/sprockets/13-rohloff-speedhub-50014-hub-gear-reversible-splined-sprocket-steel/

1-7 is really noisy compared to 8-14 because there are more parts inside the hub moving, totally normal.

Le-roi-du-camboui

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 12:00:48 pm »
thanks a lot for the explanations and the links

I'm going to order those parts from SJSC as soon as possible in order I find out what is going on with this hub;

I just need to think about the transmission ratio first

Until now, my ratio was 42/17 and it was fine so I should stay with that

Le-roi-du-camboui

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2017, 09:42:43 pm »
I still haven't ordered a new sprocket as I'm thinking about the gear combo.

I was wondering, in the case I want to remove the gear unit to inspect inside the hub casing but in the Rohloff manual they recommend to replace the paper gasket (I got one) and the joints which transfere the power from the gearbox to the hub case (I don't have any)

Is it really necessary to replace those joints?

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2017, 10:05:57 pm »
Threaded sprockets are no longer sold by Rohloff you now need a carrier https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/sprockets/rohloff-splined-sprocket-carrier-slim-8540s/ and splined sprocket https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/sprockets/13-rohloff-speedhub-50014-hub-gear-reversible-splined-sprocket-steel/

1-7 is really noisy compared to 8-14 because there are more parts inside the hub moving, totally normal.

So does this mean my Chainglider won't line up as before?
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

John Saxby

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2017, 04:09:17 am »
Matt, I think you'd need the slimline carrier -- that has a chainline that's about 54 mm, as I recall. There was a looong thread about the ripple effects of the new splined carrier, and the matter of the new chainline (about 57mm, originally). It appeared that the 'glider wouldn't fit so well with this chainline -- not enough clearance around the chainstay.

Then, the problem went away when the "S" version of the carrier appeared. (I wondered: why did Rohloff even bother with a non-'S' version in the first place?)  I still have my spare threaded sprocket -- reckon I won't need to replace it for 2 - 3 years, even if I'm able to do some long-ish tours.

Cheers,  John

macspud

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2017, 06:25:49 am »
As far as I know, the Chainglider doesn't work with the splined carier. The slimline version only narrows the chainline to 54mm. the carrier for the splined version lacks a surface for the Chainglider to ride upon. best to hunt out some replacement screw on cogs whilst they are still available. I'm not sure which cog you use but there are 16t available at Evans Cycles: https://www.evanscycles.com/rohloff-speedhub-sprocket-EV183484
also Rose Bike: https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/rohloff-replacement-sprocket-for-speedhub/aid:269319?channable=e8467.MjY5MzE5&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0Lj2wKOp1wIVhhbTCh0KEw3uEAQYAiABEgI8UfD_BwE

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2017, 08:45:12 am »
The chain-glider simply needs the revised rear section.

I was wondering, in the case I want to remove the gear unit to inspect inside the hub casing but in the Rohloff manual they recommend to replace the paper gasket (I got one) and the joints which transfere the power from the gearbox to the hub case (I don't have any)

Is it really necessary to replace those joints?

Yes it is, but there really is no point in opening up the hub, as you cant adjust anything and there would be nothing to see even if it were faulty in any way.

Hope this helps, Dave