Author Topic: Your thoughts on the T bar  (Read 5132 times)

PH

Your thoughts on the T bar
« on: October 21, 2017, 04:05:38 pm »
I've always been a bar bag fan, handy for those things you need while riding, camera, snacks... but having had a handlebar snap earlier this year I've become a little paranoid* about having anything not needed on the bars.
So, was thinking about the Thorn T bar and mounting the bag a bit lower.   Do you use one? Get on with it?  Ever find it gets in the way of the cables?
I can't say I like the aesthetics, looks fine with a bag on it, but to me looks a bit fugly without, though if there's no other disadvantages I could probably live with that (Or never ride without a bag)
This one in case you're wondering what I'm on about...
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories/thorn-accessory-bar-mk2-t-shaped-105-mm-extension-254-mm-0-deg/

*It is only that, the bag had nothing to do with the bars snapping, though without the bracket I might have spotted it before it broke. 
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 04:10:27 pm by PH »

jags

Re: Your thoughts on the T bar
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 04:15:53 pm »
depends if you have plenty spacers to fit the new bar,as a matter of fact it would be way better because you can fit good battery lights to your bars when u need them.
a pro rider said to my son one time when they where  cycling up Alp du Huez   that you should change your bars every year  ;) depending on the amount of miles u do of course .

as much as i like Carbon i would never use carbon bars just saying ,was the bars very old that broke ?

anto

ridgeback63

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 04:28:05 pm »
I use the thorn T bar and get on fine with it,never gets in the way,just takes the place of a couple of spacers,I have a bar bag extension fitted and only rarely use a barbag,well worth it IMHO and I stand firmly with jags on the handlebars,I've got the Mk3 flatbars and wouldn't dream of having carbon bars.

PH

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 05:15:26 pm »
as much as i like Carbon i would never use carbon bars just saying ,was the bars very old that broke ?

anto
Bars were aluminium and a reputable make, the damage may have started from an impact, then developed over time, though no creaking or movement noticed until they gave way.  :'(
If you google "snapped handlebars" you'll see that although not common it certainly isn't unheard of either, some manufacturers recommend they're replaced every few years, but I don't know anyone who does, I'd had these at least a decade...

StillOld

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 05:29:59 pm »
I think I have a Thorn Mk2 50mm T bar 25.4mm-0 deg on my Nomad. That puts it closer to the bars and therefore not so much gyroscopic effect? Doesn't foul the cables etc and doesn't show too much when not in use.

PH

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 05:39:25 pm »
I think I have a Thorn Mk2 50mm T bar 25.4mm-0 deg on my Nomad. That puts it closer to the bars and therefore not so much gyroscopic effect? Doesn't foul the cables etc and doesn't show too much when not in use.
That's interesting, I hadn't realised they came in different lengths.  What size stem is that under? And can you still get at the bag while riding?  Photo would be nice, maybe there's already one on here somewhere?

energyman

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 07:15:27 pm »
TeaBars are highly necessary on a bike ride, so very refreshing.   ;D
I've got them on three of my bikes so I can put my barbag a little bit further forward to facilitate being able to see my OS map properly.
Great piece of kit.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 08:29:13 pm »
IMHO, the Thorn Accessory T-bar is one of Andy Blance's greatest innovations and I would be lost and utterly bereft without mine.

For a comparison of the sizes on one bike, see my Nomad development photos here:
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=4523.msg22081#msg22081
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=4523.msg22799#msg22799
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=4523.msg35115#msg35115

They are very, very strong and you need not worry about breakage. They are available in two extension lengths (55mm/105mm), a 45° variant with or without shim that can mount to the seatpost for a saddle bag...or be inverted on the stem for tall-people's bikes, and in either 22.2mm OD or 25.4mm OD, so there's a lot of possibilities. I'm in the process of milling a reducer shim to use on my tandem's 22.2mm quill stem (it uses a thick-walled stainless shaft sleeved generously over the aluminum stem shaft with a 28mm overlap).

The first-greatest use for me is to lower the handlebar bag so weight carried in it has less influence on handling. Secondarily, I use the T-bars (I have two on my Nomad) to mount my Rohloff shifter and another to carry my GPS and vrious accessories (bell, SkyMounti inclinometer, CueClip cue sheet holder, camera mount).

Good things, those Thorn Accessory T-bars.

All the best,

Dan.

John Saxby

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 09:52:31 pm »
+1 for Dan's comments, PH.  I have two T-bars on my Raven, as shown in the photos below. The upper one has the shorter extension (55 mm), and holds my Rohloff shifter on the right side, and my bell on the left. I have flipped the T-bar so that its extension is parallel to the ground (not so easy to see in either photo -- sorry!)

The upper T-bar is also canted about 30° towards the rear of the bike. This allows me to grip the Rohloff shifter more as i would a doorknob -- that's more comfortable for me.

The lower T-bar holds my Arkel handlebar bag. In these photos, I've removed the bag, so that you see only the brackets which support the bag.

These accessory bars are very well made, and also serve as spacers on my steerer tube. Because I use drop bars, the shorter upper bar is essential, and as mentioned, adjustable for a more comfortable placement of the shifter. The lower bar lets me lower the weight of my h/bar bag, and also keeps the top of the bag just below the height of the bars, so that the beam of my headlight (removed in these photos) clears the h'bar bag with plenty to spare.

Hard to imagine my Raven without them -- they're an integral part of the bike, not really "optional" as the tag "accessory" suggests.

Hope that's helpful,

cheers,  John

mickeg

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 01:06:33 am »
I have handlebar bags mounted on four bikes.  My Nomad uses the 55mm Thorn T Accessory bar.  The other three bikes use a second stem.  Of the three that use a second stem, two use a short stub of handlebar that I cut off with a hacksaw, but one uses a short piece of PVC pipe instead.  First photo is the Thorn Tee bar, the remaining photos are with a second stem.

On some of the bikes, I have a wristwatch type heart rate monitor also on the Tee bar or the handlebar stub, that might make some of the photos a bit confusing.

The last photo, I used an adjustable stem which made it much easier to lower my handlebar bag quite significantly, but because the angle was adjustable I could have raised it if necessary for the light that is under the bag.

I have two different bar bags in the photos, but they all share the same mount which is very convenient.

I like the mounts that I am using because they allow me to set the bar bag lower and closer to the steering axis (imagine a line through the head tube), the closer the weight of the bar bag is to the steering axis, the better handling.

I also like them because I use interrupter brake levers, the bar bag bracket does not interfere with my brake levers.  And by not putting my bag bracket on the bars, that frees up space for other things like a bell or bike computer.

First photo is my Nomad, 2nd is my Sherpa, 3rd and 4th are not Thorns.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 01:09:26 am by mickeg »

PH

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 11:04:17 am »
Thanks for the replies, particularly the photos, plenty there to mull over and any more comments/photos appreciated.
I'm sold on the usefulness but am still wavering on the aesthetics, they do to me make the front of the bike look cluttered when there's no bag attached.  Though the empty bracket on the handlebars isn't pretty either...

horizon

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2017, 11:34:00 pm »
IMHO, the Thorn Accessory T-bar is one of Andy Blance's greatest innovations and I would be lost and utterly bereft without mine.

+1 to that. To me it was the only real way to get round the problem of bar bag and lights. I think they look amazing - very functional and purposeful. I'm experimenting with stems and alu tubing but the Thorn bar is the easiest way to go. 

aggs

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2017, 11:40:23 am »
Not used mine for a while, as the bar bag not seen much recent use, but been wondering how it fairs with a drybag/ bike packing bag  with a sleeping bag or soft kit inside.
For light weight touring saves another 500g or so over carrying the heavier bar bag. But not quite as convenient.!
Alpkit bags dry bag got attachment points for straps.
Useful accessory.