Community > Cycle Tours

East and North East Thailand routes

(1/2) > >>

dereksheph:
Were now in northern italy having cycled the complete east coast from Trieste to Lecce and from Taranto back up to Siena. We fly to Thailand on 25th and need some help.....Has anyone cycled from Bangkok to Friendship Bridge border crossing into Laos? I'm putting together a route and itinerary and would welcome any assistance on long distance routes in Thailand. Day to day stuff is easily got and there's a ton of posts on the web  about one or two day routes but I would like to get an overview of  the whole road.
As I said, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Derek and Linda

jags:
haven't a clue but man great cycling so far enjoy Thailand stay safe.

jags.

dereksheph:
Thanks mate !
G

Matt2matt2002:
Let me know your visa plans. I'm not up to speed on them now but I have heard there are constraints on entering certain countries more than once within a period and also visas obtained at borders can be shorter than those obtained in advance.
I like the idea of touring the 3 or 4 countries around Vietnam so look forward to hearing more about your plans/ itinerary.
Good luck

j-ms:
Hi Derek

Crazy Guy on a Bike (https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/) is the go-to source of information for touring in SE Asia (and the rest of the world too in my opinion).  Restrict your searches to Journals and to the areas you expect to visit and you will pick up a ton of useful information.

We are currently in Vietnam having cycled up through Malaysia, Thailand and Cambodia from Singapore so we didn't cross into Laos this year.  Last year we crossed into Laos twice from Thailand and entered Thailand three times (at the airport and from Laos and Cambodia).  However, conditions do change and it might best to arrange a multiple entry Thai visa before arriving.  This year we arranged Thai visas in Kuala Lumpur and Vietnamese visas in Sihanoukville but last year we just just arrived at the border posts and sorted them out there.

North East Thailand is mostly extremely flat close to the Mekhong but further away from the river, some of the National Parks in particular, have some good hills.  I suggest having only a broad itinerary.  Thailand is a very easy country in which to cycle tour and not much planing is needed.

We have spent four months out of the last sixteen cycling in Thailand and I am happy to field any questions you might have.

Regards
Jean-Mac

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version