Author Topic: are they waterproof ?  (Read 4787 times)

pedro

are they waterproof ?
« on: June 24, 2007, 10:53:46 pm »
I went through a flood a week or so ago - the hubs went under for a short distance. I didn't really think about it at the time, but now there's a odd noise from the hub. Sounds a bit like water pumping.

Just wondered if anyone know about how waterproof the Rohloff is, and if it's something I should be worried about.

stutho

• Administrator
Re: are they waterproof ?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 08:54:51 am »
Yes they are 'meant' to be waterproof.  The same seals that keep the oil in will keep water out.  Having said that if you are in any doubt that you might have had water penetrate then It would be worth performing an oil change - just for piece of mind if nothing else.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 08:57:03 am by stutho »

pedro

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 08:42:16 pm »
It's probably about due it's first oil change anyway, so sounds like a good idea.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 08:46:10 am »
Let us know if you find any water mixed with the oil. (Might be worth measuring the volume of the old oil?)

PH

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 03:01:48 pm »
I've spent the last few days in the North York Moors, peddling and pushing through several hub deep floods and fords.  As stutho said, an oil change seems a sensible precaution.  Also worth taking the EBB shell and seatpost out and giving the frame an airing.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 09:02:07 am »
OT:
How are things up there PH?  It looks pretty bad on the news.

PH

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 08:42:51 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by stutho

OT:
How are things up there PH?  It looks pretty bad on the news.

Very wet! Yet not as bad as further south. It was challenging at times, good company made it a laugh.  I like to detach myself from everyday reality when I'm away so hadn't kept up with the news.  Arriving back in York on Tuesday evening for the train home it was a surprise to find non running.  A coach down to Doncaster and a 60 mile overnight blast down the A roads with a good tailwind was an unexpected pleasure.  As always the Raven took it all in it's stride.
Back on topic - Changed the hub oil this evening, no traces of water. About half a cupful came out of the frame and there's still some sloshing about in the rims.

Kaupa

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 10:55:01 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by stutho

Yes they are 'meant' to be waterproof.  The same seals that keep the oil in will keep water out.  Having said that if you are in any doubt that you might have had water penetrate then It would be worth performing an oil change - just for piece of mind if nothing else.

Well, the seals should keep the oil in, but they dont really do that:-)

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2007, 02:16:32 pm »
Hi Kaupa,
Welcome to the list

If you are referring to Rohloff speedhub leaking oil - well all I can say is they don't.  Some of the first hubs did have a problem which was rectified quickly by Rohloff. there is a lot of the internet discussion on this topic which is out of date and incorrect.

There is a 'breather hole' on the hub (into the axle). It is this hole that can cause a oil leak if the hub is depressurized (e.g. in an aircraft hold) however at near ambient pressure  say 100mm deep (~1.01Bar) I don't believe there would be any water ingresses. Take it to 5 meters  1.5 bar and it would be a different story!

Kaupa

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2007, 11:02:12 am »
Hello again
and thank you for welcoming me.
Well, i am using a Speedhub which has already the new seals (blue one), but it didnt stop too leak oil. Maybe its bad luck with mine, but i decided not to fill in or change the oil anymore:-)

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2007, 10:33:38 am »
Hi Kaupa,

Which seal / gasket is leaking? How much oil escapes? Are you sure there is / was the correct amount of oil in the hub - overfilling can cause a leak.  

(pedro… sorry for hijacking your thread)

Kaupa

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2007, 12:29:56 pm »
Hi Stutho,
it leaks on the left side. Its not that much, that it drops on the ground, when the bike stands for a while, but quite that much, so the external gearbox is totaly covered with oil and even inside there is much of it. I used the original oil change set, so the amount should be correct.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2007, 11:45:46 am »
Hi Kaupa,
quote:
I used the original oil change set

Are you sure you drained all the old oil out?  

If it is the left hand seal that is leaking then it is worth checking that the 5 torx bolts that hold the axle plate have being correctly and EVENLY tightened to 3Nm.  Uneven tension on these bolts WILL cause a leak.

If you are still having a problem I would definitely get in contact with Rohloff they have an excellent reputation for customer care.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 11:47:47 am by stutho »

pedro

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2007, 09:42:03 pm »
I worked out what was making the noise - it was actually water inside the rim. Making a slight squelchey noise as it passed the valve hole.

I'll have to get my ears tested - It definitely sounded like the hub. Even when I was spinning the wheel next to my ear....