Author Topic: Nasty storm on its way  (Read 4278 times)

jags

Nasty storm on its way
« on: October 15, 2017, 11:52:55 pm »
Ireland on red alert. Hurricane on its way its to hit us at around nine am in  the morning :'(
Sure hope it's not going to be as bad as they say it's going tobe. :o

martinf

Re: Nasty storm on its way
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 06:13:22 am »
Been following this news as I have a field visit near the western point of Brittany with my work tomorrow.

French weather office says it should miss France altogether, but sometimes they get it wrong.

1987 hurricane was quite spectacular here. I was probably the first to get through after the storm on one local route, as I could lift my bike over the many fallen trees. There was no electricity for several days, I remember my daughter (just under 4 years old at the time) was very happy eating all the ice-cream from the freezer.

B cereus

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 08:16:53 am »
Yes, it's heading straight for you.

The latest forecast has it tracking up the Irish Sea. Not day for a bike ride Jags. 

https://www.windy.com/?51.496,-0.122,5,i:p

jags

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 10:47:58 am »
nah wouldn't chance a spin this morning ,it hasn't hit us yet but the west is been battered at the moment, :'(.

bikepacker

• Bikepacker
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 04:10:02 pm »
With this wind behind you ff you would have started a Mizen Head late last night you would be in Malin Head by tomorrow morning.  ;D ;D
If you want to be happy learn to be alone without being lonely.
If you want to enjoy the world see it from the saddle of a bike.
If you want to experience beauty camp alone in a spectacular place.
If you want release your anxieties cease excuses and take actions.

jags

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 05:53:30 pm »
So far we north east coast, have missed the worse of it.but three people killed so far  :'( reckon it would be gone until early hours of morning.

John Saxby

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 05:56:33 pm »
Good luck, Anto!  Batten down the hatches, set yourself up in a comfy chair with battery-powered headphones & some good music, along with a splash a of good brandy, etc.

A "mini-tornado" touched down in W Québec yesterday late afternoon, winds around 140 km/h. Luckily, no-one was hurt, and it was localized. Not as severe as the "micro-burst/downdraft" we had here a couple of weeks ago.  This is bizarre stuff. The weather forecasters/analysts are creating a whole new set of names for things we've rarely seen before.

bikerta

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 09:39:46 pm »
Here in South of England, we have had some gusty winds this afternoon, but not too bad. However, this morning we experienced a very eerie scenario. It was very dark, but had an orange glow everywhere, had the feeling of an eclipse. The sun, when it was not hidden by the clouds, was a massive red ball. The wind had a very warm feel to it.

The children at school were amazed by it all and spent a long time looking around at the strange colouring everywhere.

Apparently it was to do with the Sahara sands being carried with the winds, along with the forest fires in Spain and Portugal. 

jags

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 10:03:12 pm »
everything seems to be ok now thank God,i'll be in my cot shortly hopefully tomorrow will be sunny  and calm.

anto.

John Saxby

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 12:10:38 am »
the sun...was a massive red ball

Your comment brings back memories, Jackie.

Over the past 40 years, we lived in Central & Southern Africa (Zambia, Zimbabwe, & South Africa) at different times for about 15 years. In the spring, i.e., just about now, the sky would be full of accumulated dust from the previous six months or so since the last rains. The setting sun would be "a massive red ball", and there would be the smell of woodsmoke in the air, as people began cooking their evening meal. The thing was, all this was reassuring, a sign that the accumulated dust would soon be swept away by colossal and terrifying high-veldt thunderstorms, and the massive red ball would be replaced by brilliant sunsets, the sun bouncing off clouds and the air clear as crystal.

Andre Jute

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 03:47:44 pm »
Glad to hear you and your family are okay, Anto.

Big weather in a big country, John. I remember diving into a foxhole which suddenly turned out big enough to hold three scared boys when lightning struck near us the day one of those afternoon thunderstorm so characteristic of the Highveld caught us out in the open.

The hurricane passed over us at 140kph. Just as well the big eucalyptus over the living room patio was cut back last year, because some of its lower branches swayed alarmingly near my study window in even a light breeze. That would have done considerable damage during the hurricane. (It was cut back drastically mainly because we feared that it would fall the other way, onto the big tank for the heating oil; that could have been nasty.) Last year we also regretfully chopped down a red lantern tree which turned out to have very shallow roots for its huge size. That too would have gone in the hurricane, and in a heavily walled patio, probably round and round, damaging whatever it touched. We lost electricity for most of a day. Today the shops are mostly closed as they clean up, and a helicopter whizzes back and forth overhead, whether carrying supplies to cut off places, doing duty as an ambulance, or ferrying politicians making a survey of the damage, I can't tell as it flies just out of sight. Mobile phones are out but we have a landline as well, and that has its own power. I've just come in from rebuilding one of my wife's sheds that got ripped out of its moorings but the damage is minimal because we're sheltered on the "right" side of a hill, most of the work being righting pot plants and sweeping up leaves and twigs and branches.

Beautiful sunshine day outside, right now at 1545. A ride was scheduled for today but everyone else is also cleaning up, some with gardens wrecked but fortunately no worse, so, in the schoolboy joke, "Tuesday was cancelled for lack of interest."

Making routine passage around Cape Horn under sail was more frightening every time and lasted a damn sight longer. Or perhaps now that I'm old and have less to lose, I've become careless; however that may be, I slept through the worst of Ophelia.

Interesting photos at http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/ireland-braces-itself-storm-brian-11354401
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 03:49:15 pm by Andre Jute »

jags

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 06:49:49 pm »
Glad you came through the worst of it Andre you lot got it bad right enough. :'(
it was like a summers day here but i had the grandkids most of the day so no cycling.

anto.

geocycle

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2017, 07:01:51 pm »
Glad you guys on the Emerald Isle are all safe.  We had strong winds and amazing coloured skies. Went to work just as it was getting light then within an hour it was pitch black again! Birds went silent. Then we had the red sun and yellow skies.

jags

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2017, 07:58:43 pm »
strange stuff going on... ;)

[Sorry, Anto...nothing against you but I edited your post to remove a political reference. While I might or might not agree with a particular view, we're living in some remarkable times wrt politics that can be divisive, so -- like the helmet issue -- I'm trying to keep things here bicycle-related and on an even keel so they don't quickly devolve. All the best, Dan. (Thorn Cycling Forum Admin).]
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 08:26:41 pm by Danneaux »

Andre Jute

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2017, 10:36:00 pm »
Birds went silent.

Birds always know first when a storm is coming.

Next we get Storm Brian. Bit of a comedown, Hurricane Ophelia followed by Storm Brian.