Author Topic: Inner tubes is there any difference?  (Read 4569 times)

sd

Inner tubes is there any difference?
« on: October 09, 2017, 09:58:34 pm »
Need to buy a few, might as well get some good ones but which ones? Can't really say I can be certain after using cheapos and expensive ones that there was any difference. I can't say I actually did any statistics either. Anyone an opinion?

martinf

Re: Inner tubes is there any difference?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 06:12:05 am »
My current preference is Schwalbe Presta.

They seem to be good quality. One thing to check is when the removable valve core comes loose - I have had this happen, and the first time I spent a long time searching for the non-existant puncture.

I used to use Michelin latex tubes - these seemed to be more comfortable than butyl and seemed to make the tyres roll slightly better. But in recent years I had problems with frequent failures - maybe old stock in the bike shop, maybe quality has declined.

lewis noble

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 10:29:09 am »
I also stick to Schwalbe presta - I suspect that family bikes with other makes of tube lose their pressure more quickly, Schwalbes seem to hold pressure well, or the valves are of better quality, but I have no firm evidence for this, just an impression.  And yes, with presta you need to make sure the core is secure in the valve at first fitment - but I have never known them come loose once this has been done. 

Except when I unscrewed one accidentally using a Lezyne pump adapter . . .

Lewis

Swislon

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 10:52:56 am »
Schwalbe here as well.
Spa Cycles is usually pretty cheap:
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s123p0/Parts-and-Accessories/Tyres-Inner-Tubes

Steve

PH

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 11:01:44 am »
I've always bought the cheapest, often to get an internet order over the free postage minimum, I've never had a problem with any except a batch of Specialized some years ago that had weakness where the valve joined, the internet indicates it was a known problem and soon sorted.
Tip for tightening removable valve cores - most chain tools fit most valves so you can get them nice and tight.

Andre Jute

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 01:53:35 pm »
Schwalbe. But Schwalbe too had a recent problem where a whole batch of Presta valves were not properly tightened, causing irritating searches for slow leaks. Fortunately Julian (Julk on the forum) mentioned both the problem and the cure before I tore out all my hair.

I've found even Schwalbe racing tubes (in my case T19A Leicht to fit the biggest 60mm Big Apples) to be superior to whatever the LBS keeps on the shelf, which somehow never turns out as good as the Schwalbe.

John Saxby

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 02:40:51 pm »
In recent years I've used Schwalbe presta standard and light, as well as Conti, Bontrager, and one or two No-Names, depending on what was available when I needed a new tube. The Schwalbes have been the best, all else equal -- especially, free of leaks around the valve collar and free of apparent manufacturing defects such as leaks along the seam. 

Interestingly, I've never had problems with valve cores working loose, but after reading posts on the Forum, I've bought a Park valve tool.

ridgeback63

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 06:33:36 pm »
+1 for Schwalbe presta,never had a problem,touch wood

sd

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 12:28:49 pm »
So schwalbe presta then!!