Technical > Wheels, Tyres and Brakes

Inner tubes is there any difference?

(1/2) > >>

sd:
Need to buy a few, might as well get some good ones but which ones? Can't really say I can be certain after using cheapos and expensive ones that there was any difference. I can't say I actually did any statistics either. Anyone an opinion?

martinf:
My current preference is Schwalbe Presta.

They seem to be good quality. One thing to check is when the removable valve core comes loose - I have had this happen, and the first time I spent a long time searching for the non-existant puncture.

I used to use Michelin latex tubes - these seemed to be more comfortable than butyl and seemed to make the tyres roll slightly better. But in recent years I had problems with frequent failures - maybe old stock in the bike shop, maybe quality has declined.

lewis noble:
I also stick to Schwalbe presta - I suspect that family bikes with other makes of tube lose their pressure more quickly, Schwalbes seem to hold pressure well, or the valves are of better quality, but I have no firm evidence for this, just an impression.  And yes, with presta you need to make sure the core is secure in the valve at first fitment - but I have never known them come loose once this has been done. 

Except when I unscrewed one accidentally using a Lezyne pump adapter . . .

Lewis

Swislon:
Schwalbe here as well.
Spa Cycles is usually pretty cheap:
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s123p0/Parts-and-Accessories/Tyres-Inner-Tubes

Steve

PH:
I've always bought the cheapest, often to get an internet order over the free postage minimum, I've never had a problem with any except a batch of Specialized some years ago that had weakness where the valve joined, the internet indicates it was a known problem and soon sorted.
Tip for tightening removable valve cores - most chain tools fit most valves so you can get them nice and tight.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version