Technical > Lighting and Electronics

Fit new dynamo light and hub.

(1/6) > >>

sd:
First which is the best one!
My Thorn Tourer will probably get a respray by Dave Yates a frame builder in Lincolnshire. He doesn't do wheel building.
So wheel will need to have a replacement dynamo hub. Any recommendations/suggestion?
I want one which will charge a phone/GPS etc.
Not sure wherever I want a back light run of the dynamo. It would be nice if I would be able to choose wherever to switch it on or not. IE a separate switch for the rear light. I always have at least two rear lights.

Aushiker:
My personal preference for dynamo hubs is to go SON. I have a SON on my Surly Long Haul Trucker and have a SON 28 15 15 coming for my fat bike. I also have a Shutter Precision hub which is cheaper but when I went to get one of their fat bike hubs, Kerry at http://klite.com.au who was the Australian distributor indicated he no longer distributed them due to too many issues with them. So I have gone back to a SON hub as I know them to be reliable.

In respect to lights I run Busch & Muller Luxos on my bikes but there are other options which may suit you better.

To facilitate charging you need a cache battery [or charger] or you can for example use your light if it has this facility. I have a Busch & Muller e-Werk on the Surly but it is getting a bit old now and the propriety fittings are not keeping up with the times, e.g., USB-C.  I am trying out a beta charger from Kerry at KLite on my Salsa Mukluk.

martinf:
I have SON, SP and mid to high range Shimano. They all work well and no issues so far.

Shimano are the cheapest, the models I use are the DH-3N72 with steel axle (on my utility Thorn, and the two visitor bikes) and the slightly lighter and more expensive DH-3N80 with aluminium alloy axle (on my wife's bike).

I don't need device charging capability yet, so I have B&M Cyo lamps, which have a good light output at a reasonable price.

sd:
Thanks. I will need to have the wheel rebuilt or should I buy it built with the hub already in? I want the grizzly rigida for rims they are a must. So I should be looking for them with the hub dynamo in. Or I should send it to a wheel builder to have it fitted? I have a suspicion I won't find it built in? An off the shelf option is unlikely. If you do otherwise please tell. I had the internet site of a wheel builder but can't find it. Anyone?
Thank you JB

sd:

--- Quote from: martinf on October 10, 2017, 06:21:49 am ---I have SON, SP and mid to high range Shimano. They all work well and no issues so far.

Shimano are the cheapest, the models I use are the DH-3N72 with steel axle (on my utility Thorn, and the two visitor bikes) and the slightly lighter and more expensive DH-3N80 with aluminium alloy axle (on my wife's bike).

I don't need device charging capability yet, so I have B&M Cyo lamps, which have a good light output at a reasonable price.

--- End quote ---
If one is cheaper is that a reflection of the "life expectancy". I am so into minimal maintenance and that includes parts that last longest.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version