Author Topic: Bike click or kick stand!!  (Read 7995 times)

sd

Bike click or kick stand!!
« on: October 09, 2017, 07:36:26 pm »
Can't seem to find a decent one. Want one that attach to both seat and chainstay? Any recommendations please JB
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 11:14:00 pm by sd »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Bike kick stand
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 10:46:51 pm »
Click-Stand, nor kickstand.  ;)

No chance of frame damage and the Thorn warranty stays intact.

Best,

Dan.

sd

Re: Bike kick stand
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 11:36:32 pm »
Click-Stand, nor kickstand.  ;)

No chance of frame damage and the Thorn warranty stays intact.

Best,

Dan.
No I think I will go for kickstand!

jags

Re: Bike click or kick stand!!
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 11:56:59 pm »
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
don't do it for god sake find a wall a tree a hedge anything solid to lean your baby against  .if all that fails get a clickstand. ???

anto.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 05:41:17 am »
No I think I will go for kickstand!
  ;D

Here, the archives are your friend. Do a search for "kickstand" (no quotes) on the Forum's search engine, and you'll pull up lots of discussions and some photos of kickstands (real ones!  ;) ) mounted on members' bicycles.

In general, a kickstand that mounts near the rear dropout is the best choice in that it seems less likely to be fouled by a crankarm if the bike is wheeled backward, and so is less likely to damage the chainstays due to clamping pressure and is clear of crankarm-applied torque.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 09:48:19 pm by Danneaux »

Andre Jute

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 01:46:45 pm »
I've had good service from the Swiss ESGE Pletscher bike stands, though admittedly from the type that bolt to a tab welded onto the rear chain stay near the dropout. But they make clamping models as well.

John Saxby

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 02:51:30 pm »
In the past couple of months I've been changing/renewing 3 or 4 kickstands on city bikes. All the stands produced wear on the paint of the stays where they're attached: scrapes, chips, bare patches, and rust (except where the frame is alu). The problems have been most serious on the bikes which have steel frames. No cracks, but I had to do a fair amount of work to clear the rust, sand the offending areas, and apply lacquer to stop the rust.

The Click-stand I use with my Raven works very well (not perfectly--I occasionally nudge it accidentally with my shoe), and it's a good conversation piece. Inexpensive, light, unobtrusive, and I take it only if I think I'll need it.

sd

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 09:26:17 pm »
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
don't do it for god sake find a wall a tree a hedge anything solid to lean your baby against  .if all that fails get a clickstand. ???

anto.
I live rural area and I can assure you there is never a tree nearby when its needed!

jags

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 09:49:09 pm »
sd there bad news ok they will hold your bike up but at what cost Rust Scratches damage paintwork and worse bent tubes.
find a tree my friend or lay your bike down gently  ;)

anto

mickeg

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 12:09:59 am »
As Dan noted, Thorn does not like kickstands and if you have a warranty issue, that could be a problem.

But, I have a Greenfield one on both my Sherpa and Nomad, it mounts on the back near the rear dropout.  See photo.

Sometimes if the ground is sloped just right, my front wheel will start to roll to the side and the bike can roll off of the kickstand.  I usually use a bit of bunge or elastic to wrap around the front wheel brake lever.

A friend of mine had one break this past summer on a bike tour, but I have not had any problems.

The Greenfield has a small rubber foot that if you use it on soil, the kickstand can push a hole through the rubber foot and sink into the soil.  Thus, I glue a big washer on the bottom of the rubber foot so that the foot has better support on soil.  On every tour I have done, the washer eventually fell off, but at least it lasted for a while.

sd

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 02:32:17 pm »
sd there bad news ok they will hold your bike up but at what cost Rust Scratches damage paintwork and worse bent tubes.
find a tree my friend or lay your bike down gently  ;)

anto
I will put old inertube or tape on first.. The one on Travelmaster is covered in tape (although it is aluminium)

sd

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 02:34:24 pm »
I doubt there is any warranty on this bike its at least eight years old. I will look at click stand though. May buy to try.

mickeg

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 04:47:51 pm »
I made a substitute for a clickstand from a tent pole (cut down for length) for my Titanium bike.  But the key is that my seatstays are welded to the seattube in a way that there is sort of a pocket that I can put a pole into.  Some frames are not built that way.  The clickstand instead has a saddle fitting to go under the toptube.  I used some trekking pole rubber tips on each end of my pole.