Author Topic: sherpa forks  (Read 2251 times)

wanderer23

sherpa forks
« on: October 08, 2017, 05:43:45 pm »
hi all
I have recently bought a Sherpa mk3 and have tried putting bags on the front as you do, and found that with as little as 4kg each side, I found that there is a little bit of flexing I would like to put up to 6kg, I am here to ask is it possible to put a set of raven forks with the steel plate to make it stiffer?
would anyone have any other suggestions to solve the flex problem or should I just learn to live with it? 

jags

Re: sherpa forks
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 06:45:09 pm »
your the only person i ever head say that about the sherpa forks ,
to me when i had the sherpa i found them to be anything but flexy .
now don't take me up wrong but it was the only thing i hated about the sherpa was the heavy front end if i still had it there would be carbon forks on it by now .
anyhoo that doesn't answer your question  ::)
are you certain the headset is good / right pressure in the tyres ;) 
are you a nervous rider by any chance .honestly i would not worry those sherpa bikes are built like tanks .
hope you get sorted one way or the other.

jags.

martinf

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 07:47:12 pm »
AFAIK the current Thorn Sherpa (if this is what you have) can have two different forks, a lightweight 853 fork that isn't designed to carry any luggage and a heavier fork with bosses for low loaders. I assume you have the latter. This one is rated by Thorn for up to 6 Kg each side, and is the same as the fork fitted to the current Raven Rohloff equipped bikes. Thorn seem to be realistic about the loads they quote, so 6 Kg each side should be quite safe.

When you mention the "raven forks with the steel plate" I assume you mean the twin-plate ones that were fitted to the discontinued Raven Tour model.

I have two Raven Tours with these twin plate forks, and don't notice any untoward flexing when loaded, but I don't know if they are any stiffer than the current forks.

You don't mention the rack you are using. This might be a factor. I have the Thorn low-loader rack, which I find very stable.

If you really want to fit the twin plate forks to your Sherpa, you would be best advised to contact Thorn directly and ask them:

(1) whether it is possible or not. I think fork geometry on Raven and Sherpa bikes depends to some extent on frame size, so mention that.
(2) whether the twin plate forks would make much difference or not. 

Personally, I wouldn't bother changing the forks. I'd just adjust the weight carried between front panniers, rear panniers and rear rack top bags till I was satisified with the handling, putting the light stuff at the front if you don't like the feel of the bike with 4 to 6 Kg each side.

PH

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 09:29:31 pm »
Is it this fork?
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/forks/46-26-thorn-st26-steel-fork-black/

If so it's rated to carry 15kg, and that's probably with a large safety margin. 
It shouldn't feel like it's flexing with 6kg, so I'd look to see if it was something else.  My money would be the rack, see if you can borrow a different one to try.
The Nomad is rated to carry 20kg on the front forks, but you'd be doing some serious expedition stuff to need that. I'm not sure it's a straight swap anyway, aren't they suspension corrected?