Author Topic: Thorn Touring bike derailleur eBay 5 hours left £112 Reading.  (Read 3704 times)

thenandrins

Re: Thorn Touring bike derailleur eBay 5 hours left £112 Reading.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 07:05:29 pm »
After being stuck at £136 with 1 minute to go..............It went for £331
Bargain!

cpk

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 11:07:44 am »
Hi,

I was the winning bidder on this bike but took a bit of a gamble/punt on it!  I'm looking for a steel framed tourer and thought this was good value but I feel a bit silly buying it blind.

I've got no idea about previous models of Thorns and can't find any info out about it, can anyone shed any light on it?  What approximate year it was etc.  I see it has a Reynolds 725, Brooks saddle but that's all I can make out until I collect it! 

I'm hoping to collect it this week, I'm a bit fearful I'll pick up a wreck that needs loads of work to get it roadworthy!

Cheers,
Chris

leftpoole

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 12:08:35 pm »
Hello,
Don't worry about this.
You have a Club Tour which is a great bike!
John

sd

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 11:21:59 am »
Hi,

I'm hoping to collect it this week, I'm a bit fearful I'll pick up a wreck that needs loads of work to get it roadworthy!

Cheers,
Chris
If Cash on collection and it is crap tell him to shove it.
If Paypal and it is crap tell him to shove it and claim your money back.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 11:32:00 am by sd »

sd

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 11:31:07 am »
Seller has 100% positive feedback for last 12 months. Sold very little lately (3 items) he is mainly a buyer.
One negative from more than 12 months ago as a seller:
"Warning! Avoid this timewaster! Does not follow procedures! Warning!
    Thorn Club Tour. touring bike (#272018950673)"

sd

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 08:42:06 pm »
Hi,

I was the winning bidder on this bike but took a bit of a gamble/punt on it!  I'm looking for a steel framed tourer and thought this was good value but I feel a bit silly buying it blind.

I've got no idea about previous models of Thorns and can't find any info out about it, can anyone shed any light on it?  What approximate year it was etc.  I see it has a Reynolds 725, Brooks saddle but that's all I can make out until I collect it! 

Cheers,
Chris
Well? How did it go? Was it a pile off, or a staggeringly good buy?

jags

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 03:09:38 pm »
i was wondering that meself  ;)
hopefully its a cracker for the new owner.

anto

cpk

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 09:42:06 am »
Well it arrived and looked dustier than the pictures! 

After some investigation, it turned out to be this bike:

http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=11241.msg81603#msg81603

From the description back in 2015 on ebay the bike hasn't had anything done to it apart from the puncture is fixed and the pump is missing!  It appears the seller of the bike I bought it off was the winning bidder on the bike back in Aug 2015.  He also tried to sell it in Oct 2015 but I think that transaction failed looking at his feedback.  I'm guessing it hasn't been touched since then.

It cleaned up really well and the frame is in excellent condition.  I'm new to 'proper bike' ownership and wanted a good comfortable bike for long local rides on and possibly some longer touring later on.  So, I'm learning about bike maintenance and buying this has thrown me in at the deep end!  I was looking at Dawes etc. but when this came up thought it was worth a punt. 

So far I have replaced and adjusted brake blocks (brakes basically didn't work) and put some new pedals on.  Saddle has been tightened but has a creak.  Tyres are ok, rims look okish, seem true and not concave but not taken tyres off yet, new chain and brake cables are on order.  New handlebar tape too.

Still has original panaracer tyres (seem ok). 

I'm pleased with my purchase and it should hopefully be in top condition soon.  I've ridden it a bit and it seems a nice stable bike, not got huge confidence in the brakes yet, rear is spongy and I can't seem to solve it.  I'm going to strip down and regrease when fitting the cables and hopefully this will help.  I also want to get a rear rack for it at some stage.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 01:55:09 pm by cpk »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 02:07:45 pm »
All congratulations and welcome!

It sounds like you got a good 'un and with some history as well. Bikes have a way of finding the owners who want/need them.

So looking forward to photos on the Gallery board as the bike becomes truly your own.

All the best,

Dan.