Author Topic: V-brake advice  (Read 2807 times)

onebikeoneworld

V-brake advice
« on: October 23, 2017, 02:51:50 pm »
I'm back from a tour and doing some maintenance. I've got flat handlebars and my front brake is a Shimano Deore XT V-brake, while the rear is an Avid SD 7. Both my front and rear lever are XT levers. In the last 7 months, I've barely had to touch the SD 7 while the Deore has needed more fiddling. I'm sure part of that is down to using the front brake more, but I like my SD 7. When I google around, I see mention of the Avid SD Ultimate, but the thing doesn't seem to really exist anywhere online.

What V-brakes do people recommend? Should I just put an SD 7 on the front too?
How about levers? The Avid Speed Dials?

PH

Re: V-brake advice
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 03:54:57 pm »
Is the XT the older parallel push model? It was a good idea but it's with reason Shimano dropped it.
If it's not, then before spending any money, why not swap them round and see if it's the position or the brake? 
I have the current model of XT V brake and it's a simple to keep working well as any other I've used, though admittedly that doesn't include the Avid. 

brummie

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 07:49:21 pm »
Worth checking your Avid brake is not effected by recall: http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/avid-single-digit-7-sd7-brake-recall-50981/

geocycle

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 09:27:48 am »
I had avid ultimates which were good.  I don't think they are made anymore as high end brakes for MTBs are now disks. I sent one back as it broke and it was replaced.  I currently have deore brakes and to be honest I cannot tell the difference.  The blocks and rims are more important IMO once you get beyond the very basic offering.  I do have XTR levers which have done 10 years of hard use.

onebikeoneworld

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 10:51:49 am »
Worth checking your Avid brake is not effected by recall: http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/avid-single-digit-7-sd7-brake-recall-50981/

Thank you for that! They are effected by the recall so I've sent CRC an email as I bought from them.