Author Topic: Schwalbe marathon plus mountain or Schwalbe MAGIC MARY 26x2.35" Addix.  (Read 4350 times)

sd

Need to fit some mountain bike tyres to my Thorn Raven Tour. Would like the puncture protection of the marathon plus but reviews not to good on its off road capability. On other hand magic Mary (where do they come up with these names?) will be iffy on puncture protection. I expect to come across thorns on some of my routes AND some muddy paths which I can't avoid. Mainly be on grass tracks (probably). I have  Panaracer Flataway Kevlar Puncture Protection in my big apple tyres and have had only one puncture in 2 years but I have only been on one off road track totalling about 6 miles a week. In future I will be looking at considerably more off road on much more variable tracks. Anyone used the magic Marys? Or the marathon plus MTBs. Once winter comes I will change to spikes, is there a tyre with decent off road capability and spikes?
This looks like a decent price for magic Marys
 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-Schwalbe-MAGIC-MARY-26x2-35-Addix-Downhill-DH-MTB-Tyres-Wide-Knobbly-Tread/371743803543?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

martinf

Re: Schwalbe marathon plus mountain or Schwalbe MAGIC MARY 26x2.35" Addix.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 07:51:55 pm »
Once winter comes I will change to spikes, is there a tyre with decent off road capability and spikes?

Nokian Extreme 294 or Hakka 300 should be good for proper off-road use.

I have Nokian Hakkapeliitta W240, which have a sort of centre ridge and are thus more suitable for mixed road/off-road use.

Unlike a proper off-road tyre they don't feel too horrible on normal roads after the morning ice has melted.

sd

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 09:59:35 pm »
Once winter comes I will change to spikes, is there a tyre with decent off road capability and spikes?

Nokian Extreme 294 or Hakka 300 should be good for proper off-road use.

I have Nokian Hakkapeliitta W240, which have a sort of centre ridge and are thus more suitable for mixed road/off-road use.

Unlike a proper off-road tyre they don't feel too horrible on normal roads after the morning ice has melted.
Alas none of them are still made or are not available in the UK. Thanks .

martinf

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 06:09:10 am »
All available online from Germany for delivery to France, so probably to the UK as well:

http://www.starbike.com/en/wheels/tires/spike-tires/

I got Nokian because I reckon that a Finland manufacturer would be competent about snow and ice. Nokian have carbide studs, which resist use on normal unfrozen roads much better than the ordinary steel studs that were fitted to the other brands I looked at when I bought my Nokians more than 10 years ago.

I expect the other brands also have carbide studs nowadays. Some Continental and Schwalbe studded tyres are also supposed to be good off-road, but never tried them.

sd

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 10:24:14 am »
All available online from Germany for delivery to France, so probably to the UK as well:

http://www.starbike.com/en/wheels/tires/spike-tires/

I got Nokian because I reckon that a Finland manufacturer would be competent about snow and ice. Nokian have carbide studs, which resist use on normal unfrozen roads much better than the ordinary steel studs that were fitted to the other brands I looked at when I bought my Nokians more than 10 years ago.

I expect the other brands also have carbide studs nowadays. Some Continental and Schwalbe studded tyres are also supposed to be good off-road, but never tried them.
I will look again. I have two sets of Scwalbe spiked tyres for road use. Excellent, minimal (or at least it seems like it) rolling resistance. A bit noisy but not excessive. What I read is the off road studded should be used as little as possible on road as they are more prone to loosing studs. Schwalbe are always helpful often answering emails the same day. They sent me 200 studs for nowt, my favourite price.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 07:29:16 am by sd »

aggs

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 06:45:29 pm »
The Magic Mary is designed for xc and dh type mountain biking in wet conditions and generally used on the front only as its has good grip and has fairly high rolling resistance.
Not at all suitable for road riding.
Typically a faster rolling tyre is put on the back , unless the conditions are very extreme or you are racing in bad conditions you would put them front and back.
I use them for my mtb.on the front and really inspire confidence.

I would recommend Schwalbe Marathon Extreme Evo tyres , I use them on my 700cc Touring bike for mixed road and forest tracks and mud.
i.e gravel riding in Scottish Borders.
Roll pretty well on road, grippier than they look off road and long lasting tread.
Be a bit careful in mud but they do grip well, the 700c version would be narrower then the 26 version so this may help in soft conditions, but very pleased with them, all tyres are a compromise, hard to get a good all rounder, but do like these.
Plus pretty puncture proof, never had a puncture inspite of the lots of abuse.
Only 1 puncture was a pinch flat , desecending a fast fire road with not enough air pressure in tube, so it hit rim.
SJS sell them. 

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres/schwalbe-marathon-extreme-dd-folding-tyre-26-x-225-inch-57559/

Alternatives would be Kenda Small block 8 or Kenda Slant 6.  which are cheaper , I use these on my mtb as well, but the Schwalbe is the better allrounder I would say.

reviews on SJS web site too.

Prices dropped now too!!

« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 07:10:50 pm by aggs »

bobs

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 06:58:36 pm »
Have you considered these.

Manufacturer: Schwalbe
Brand:     Schwalbe
Model:     HS402 Double Defense EVO, skinwall folding reflective
Size:      57-559      26" x 2.25

considered the go-to tyre for adventure touring

aggs

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 07:09:34 pm »
Same tyre I mention above.  :)

sd

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 10:40:27 pm »
Well as I expected the nobby nics (smaller than the magic Marys) didn't fit with the mudguards on the Thorn tourer. I expect but am not sure that land cruizer plus will fit and give a decent grip. I could put the nobby nics on my Santos and make that my off road bike. With the mudguards on I ride with big apples so good possibility of taking nobby nics.