Author Topic: Bird nest of wires!  (Read 5507 times)

Thomas777

Bird nest of wires!
« on: September 22, 2017, 01:04:25 pm »
I was wondering how one goes about having a "clean & neat " install? I have a bunch of wire at the fork crown.
Would appreciate your help!
Thanks

Aushiker

• Aushiker: Bicycling and Bushwalking in Western Australia
Re: Bird nest of wires!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 01:52:33 pm »
I haven't done this but have considered the possibility of using a very narrow spiral wrap or even heat-shrink to tidy it all up. Just never got around to doing something about it but.

mickeg

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 03:14:30 pm »
I do not run a wired taillight, instead use battery taillight.  My dynoub wires are zip tied to my fork blade to the top of the fork where I use a couple 2.8mm quick disconnects, then my headlamp is plugged into those wires.  I have some other wire bundled up to keep it out of the way under the lamp bracket.  This is on my Nomad.

Even if I had a wire to a taillight, it would not be that much additional wiring.

The reason I use quick disconnects at the top of my fork crown is that I have the original Thorn fork plus a suspension fork that I sometimes use on my Nomad.  Also, on my tour a year ago I did not use that same headlamp and I temporarily added a SineWave Revolution USB charger.  The quick disconnects are to make switching components easier.

Why do you have a birdsnest of wiring, there are not that many possibilities.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 03:18:20 pm by mickeg »

Thomas777

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 04:05:53 pm »
I will try to post a pic.
Had a thought of maybe stuffing the excess up inside the steerer tube.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 04:12:33 pm »
Hi Thomas!

Attached are four composite photos showing the headlight, taillight, and charger wiring on my Nomad. It has now been in place for five years and is still working fine with no problems whatsoever. Each run -- Headlight, taillight, or charger -- can be replaced individually without disturbing the other wiring. The only planned modification is to install a Deans connector on the lead nearer the headlight so I can more easily swap in upgraded headlights as they become available (the same way I can with taillights). This is important to me because advances in LED lighting make periodic upgrades attractive.

Perhaps seeing what I've done will give you some ideas....

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 05:14:22 pm by Danneaux »

Donerol

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 09:29:30 pm »
In your last composite photo, how do you secure the cable inside of the mudguard (pics 7 and 8 )?  What you've done looks really neat.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 09:16:44 pm by Donerol »

mickeg

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 09:32:54 pm »
The attached is of the bike I built up this past spring (a non-Thorn).  Similar concept but this is a Luxos U headlamp that has connectors on the back of the lamp instead of wires like on the lamp I showed in my previous post above.  The wires that are zip tied to the fork blade have 2.8mm quick connectors that are plugged directly into the rear of the lamp.  There is a wire for the remote switch (located on handlebar) that comes out of the the lamp unit too.

This bike also does not have taillight wiring, I use battery taillights.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 11:29:58 pm »
In your last composite photo, how do you secure the cable inside of the mudguard (pics 7 and 8 )?  What you've done looks really neat.
I used beta-cyanoacryalate gel (the kind of super glue that also glues wood and leather) to attach the wire lead to the inside of the mudguard. The wire is routed through holes lined with Futaba R/C model rubber grommets. During the gluing process, I used spring-loaded clothespins over wax paper to clamp the wire in place till the gel dried (about 15 seconds).

While the wire is held securely in all normal use, it is possible to deliberately peel it free from the SKS mudguard if renewal is necessary.

The process is detailed for my former Sherpa and for my Nomad here:
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=3896.msg17113#msg17113
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=4523.msg38847#msg38847
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=12185.msg89179#msg89179
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=11473.msg84336#msg84336

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 04:28:15 pm by Danneaux »

Donerol

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 02:56:20 pm »
That's great, Dan - many thanks for the detailed description.  My Raven has a Son dynohub and a BuM front light already, and I recently bought a Toplight Line plus for the rear, but have been trying to work out the neatest way of wiring it up.

Thomas777

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 06:47:58 pm »
Thought I would share how  I handled  one " inside fender" install. On one of my bikes I have Velo Orange aluminum fenders and I use HVAC aluminum foil tape to adhere and protect the wire.