Author Topic: Son Dynamo install  (Read 3639 times)

Thomas777

Son Dynamo install
« on: October 06, 2017, 09:39:51 pm »
I work PT at a LBS and a few weeks ago someone came from out of state to buy a Kona Sutra. The fellow wanted a Dyno light setup. Our shop cannot source the product so he got everything from Peter White. Top shelf items all he way! Because I am the "touring guy" in both of our shops they wanted me to do the install. The other mechanic rebuilt the wheel and this morning I attended to the wiring. Ran the rear light wire inside the fender and covered it with aluminum foil tape. Installed 2 grommets at the exit points. And redid the connection on the overly long wires.
The fellow will be driving over to pick up his tourer tomorrow!

jags

Re: Son Dynamo install
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 11:38:59 pm »
lets hope he appreciates all your tasty work.
pity u didn't post a few photos of the bike and all the gear.
always good to see how other people go about fitting stuff. ;)

cheers
anto.

John Saxby

Re: Son Dynamo install
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 03:25:44 pm »
Thanks, Tom. Glad it all worked out so well. I'e heard nothing but good reports on Peter White's work.  As you may know, our mutual friend Dave McKerrow here in Ottawa has a Klein touring bike he bought in DC some 10-plus years ago for which Peter built the wheels. They've never needed trueing since.

When I was doing the wiring on my Raven's SON28 (following Dan's example and instructions), Peter's website was very helpful, and he supplied a lot of the small parts I needed for the circuit.

Four years ago, I looked into ordering a Tout Terrain-mit-Rohloff from Peter's shop, but the price was far beyond what I was ready to pay. The elevated price was partly due to the lousy USD/CAD exchange rate, but also to the 13% import duty that the feds levy on imported complete bikes. For me, the Raven was the best value I could find for a robust touring bike equipped with a Rohloff. Even at that, to keep the price at a level compatible with domestic harmony, I had to purchase the main components (frameset & hubs) separately and have the bike assembled here.

cheers,  John