Author Topic: Thorn Sherpa excels on 1800 kilometre Australian tour  (Read 4784 times)

Vintagetourer

Thorn Sherpa excels on 1800 kilometre Australian tour
« on: December 22, 2017, 04:25:04 am »
My Thorn Sherpa has once again shown itself to be a superb touring bike and a joy to ride loaded.
A few days ago I finished a longish tour in S.E. Australia.
The icing on the cake was riding 168 undulating kilometres on the final day. The quality of the bike was a major factor to enable 60something me to do such a distance on a loaded touring bike.
The photo journal with details of the ride is here
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/20181

in4

Re: Thorn Sherpa excels on 1800 kilometre Australian tour
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 11:11:44 am »
Thoroughly enjoyed reading about your tour with the Sherpa . Thanks for posting.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 06:56:36 pm »
Very nice words and photos, Graham; I enjoyed your sense of humor!

That gadget you asked about on page 16 of your report is a curling iron, intended for ladies' hair on occasions when electricity wasn't available. This one was heated on the wood stove; the wood handles are the giveaway.

Best,

Dan.

Vintagetourer

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 08:12:01 pm »
Thanks Dan. My wife was with me that day and she also suggested that was the use.
Glad you enjoyed the journal.
I’m chuffed at how well the Sherpa handled the range of road conditions. Swapping to lighter wheels made a big difference.

David Simpson

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 09:37:30 pm »
Graham, thanks for taking the time to write about your trip. I just took a quick look now, but I'll spend more time reading it over the holidays.

While many of us are off our bikes now because of our winter, it's good to be able to ride vicariously with those who are in the summer now.

- DaveS

Vintagetourer

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 02:38:18 am »
You are welcome David. I hope the blog encourages a few people to come to Australia and cycle tour our wonderful regional areas. This tour crossed through some very distinctive and very different types of geographic areas.

I also hope the blog serves as testament to the quality of Thorn Sherpa. It’s a superbly versatile touring bike, especially now I have made mine a bit lighter.

Pavel

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 09:05:25 am »
That photo makes me think of how great it can be when a nice bike and road come together for someone.  There are few experiences in life to match that.  Now I've got to read your post on CrazyGuy.  Thanks!  :)

Vintagetourer

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 09:31:31 am »
Thanks Pavel. A quick flick through of the photos in the journal will give you a flavour of the tour. It was a fun ride.