Technical > Wheels, Tyres and Brakes

Thorn Sterling Max wheel / tyre diameter...

(1/2) > >>

GibraltarSean:
Hi all,

Really looking  forward to playing on the trails on a Thorn Sterling i have aquired. Problem is that my mates are cutting about on 29ers. I read something about there is lots of clearance for bigger tyres... does anyone know if it's possible to mitigate the diameter  difference at all... I hear there are many knew larger tyres these days...

Apologies in advance for my ignorance if this proves to be one of those 'plain stupid' ask's....

Sean

bobs:
Hi Sean,

You will be able to fit wider tyres but not bigger wheels. 29er wheels will not fit, they are a completely different beast.

Bob

GibraltarSean:
Hi Bob

, VMT for the reply... yep its possible i was hoping against hope... but Check  this link out i found on the Web ... read down to wheels spec and it states 700 sized wheels can be fitted if they arę disc braked.... i originally posted the Q as i saw on the Thorn webpage a 'Dit' on large wheel  clearances.... link below

http://www.bikerecyclery.com/new-thorn-sterling-frame-mt-tura-rigid-fork-medium-lowrider-rack-parts-high-performance-adventure-mountain-touring-bike-from-england-for-rohloff/

Please, aby thoughts??

Danneaux:

--- Quote ---Please, aby thoughts??
--- End quote ---
Yes, Sean (and welcome to the Thorn Cycling Forum!):

I believe you might indeed get away with fitting a 700C wheel in place of the fat-tired 26in so long as:

1) Disc brakes were used (as you have mentioned...)
...and...
2) The tires on the 700C wheels were very skinny.

Twenty-niners are bikes that run very fat tires on 700C rims. I don't believe there is sufficient clearance beneath the Sterling's fork crown or seatstay bridge to clear a 700C wheel *with* fat tire.

I may well be wrong, but I should think clearances could be pretty tight.

Is there any way you could borrow one or two of your mate's wheels for a moment to try while the bike is in the stand? That would definitively answer your question with no harm to either bike or wheelset.

All the best,

Dan.

bobs:
Hi Sean,

If it is possible to fit a larger wheel it would be a lot of expense for very little benefit. There would be the cost of converting the hub to a disc one if required  and the cost of rebuilding the wheel. You won't be able to run fat tyres or a 26" unless you buy another wheel.

Bob

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version