Author Topic: converting hub version  (Read 10244 times)

PH

converting hub version
« on: September 17, 2017, 01:34:02 pm »
Hello, after an absence of a few years, while my Rohloff has been in another frame, it may be returning to a Thorn, (Namely the Mercury, which is where it would have gone if it'd been available then), which brings me back here -  :)
Anyway - it's the wrong model for a Mercury, so the question - Has anyone converted a hub from an internal gear change to external?  And to being disk brake compatible from not?
I see you can buy the external kit for £130, and there's a vid which makes it seem simple.  What about the disk conversion which has to be done by Rohloff?  Which order would they need doing in?  Would I need to convert the gear changer before sending it off? Would Rohloff do the lot in one go, and would that cost more?
I'm trying to work out at what point it makes more sense to just buy another hub, or choose a different frame that takes V brakes at the back.
Yes I know I could just ring Thorn and they'd have all the answers, but I don't want to get trigger happy with the bank card before I'd thought it all through... which has been known :-[
Thanks
Paul

mickeg

Re: converting hub version
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 04:04:41 pm »
I have not done the work so I can't comment on any details.  But, the disc version requires a different part of the hub shell.  And to get to the part that has to be removed, you have to remove the gear change mechanism first.  Thus, I think you want to have it all done at once.  And since opening the shell up is something that is not really intended to be done by a user, I suspect that you want someone that knows what they are doing to do the work.

If it was me and if I was told that it would be expensive, I would consider getting a new wheel built with a new hub and leaving the old wheel on the bike where it currently resides.

I would contact SJS first as they might be able to do the work.  (I actually live in USA, not the UK, so I probably would contact someone other than SJS that is closer to local but if I was in the UK I would go to SJS first.)

Does Rohloff still use a non-standard rotor mount?  If so, you need to figure out if you need to add a new rotor to your budget too.

Andre Jute

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 02:39:48 am »
Just on the point George raises about the non-standard disc rotor mount, Rohloff sells, through their dealers, rotors for all the popular formats/brands to suit their 4-hole mount, so the availability and price of the relevant rotor can be discovered from the internet.

PH

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 11:17:02 am »
Thanks for the replies, the cost of the Rohloff specific rotor wasn't something I'd factored in.
mickeg - I wasn't expecting to do the disk conversion myself, the Rohloff website says it has to be done by them via the local distributor.  The gear change swap looks simple enough, Rohloff have produced a vid and sell the parts.  What I was really after was anyone's experience of going down this route, partly if there was any advantage (Financial) of converting the gear system before sending it off.  I do like the look of the Mercury, it isn't that different from the now damaged custom frame my Rohloff is in, except for the disk brake, and of course some of the Thorn unique parts that a one off would't include.  If converting the hub becomes too much trouble I'll have to find another off the peg frame, I'd have no issue with another custom except the waiting list of any decent builder.

mickeg

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 03:38:10 pm »
It was not clear to me that the frame that your Rohloff currently resides in was damaged.

I had assumed that the Mercury was cantilever brake capable, but I just looked at the SJS page and found that it lacked cantilever posts.  Thus, I understand your desire to go with disc on it. 

I recently built up a new bike (non-Thorn) that was a disc only type of frame.  Thus, I finally have a bike with a disc on it.  But I went with a rim brake for the front wheel so the bike has disc rear and V brake front.

Good luck with your endeavors.

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 04:14:05 pm »
If you send the hub/wheel into us, to convert to a disc fitting costs £77.50 + £5 return postage. Turnaround is 2-3 working days on average.

PH

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 11:13:17 am »
Thanks all, also had a reply to my email enquiry which tells me all I wanted to know.  It's getting expensive, and I'm not particularly fussed about having a disk brake, but I can't see another OTP frame that comes even close to matching my requirements.

mickeg

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 04:48:25 pm »
Could you use a sidepull brake, or perhaps a vintage centerpull brake unit?

PH

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 05:03:48 pm »
I could, and may even do so as a temporary measure to get the Rohloff back in use, but the tyre size restriction doesn't really fit with it's intended use and it's a lot of money for something that's a compromise from the start. 

ledburner

• it getting out in the fresh air that counts
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 02:01:21 pm »
Ison Distribution, did the convention for me and also did a hub cap change converting it to discs as such they returned it to Rohloff to rectify another issue,whereby it was occasionally going into 'neutral'. This included seals and all parts. The sent it to Germany Free of Charge. Mine is from May 1999.
I think it may be run in now external conversion in my experience is a little tighter, even though lighter springs were added. I put this down to the longer cable runs.
Regards
Ledburner.

it getting out in the fresh air that counts.

ledburner

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 03:26:23 pm »
The conversion process is on YouTube
https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=10s&v=WGNFZjavXcI

PH

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 05:25:12 pm »
Cheers Ledburner, I should have updated this as I had the work done by SJS and the disk braked external shift hub now sits in a Mercury.  All the work and the frame to Thorns usual high standards. Though I’m not sure I made the right choice, I preferred the internal shift it just felt more positive and although the disk brake is fine, it’s more complex than a V, messes up the rack fitting and doesn’t add anything... If I had my time again I’d put up with the wait and gone custom, it wouldn’t have cost any more.

ledburner

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 06:36:56 am »
Hi PH, the conversion to using disk brakes has been a positive experience for me. The rain or mud do not affect braking. I do not use racks though. I have 'custom' bike-packing bags I made ( a labour of love). Not a convient as panniers. But the lower capacity means ago light and it is slot quieter. Post a picture if you can, which disks are you using, mechanical  (cable) or hydraulic. I run flat bars (Jones copies), and Magura MT4, all deals at CRC/Merlin :D. Fitted by the LBS.  I find wheel changing easier with an ex box than  reattachein the bayonet connectors. I concerntrate on lining the disk and calipers up the rest follow. The Ex Bo's is current set at 2o'clck. If it is near 6 o'clock. It may be more inconvenient. I do not have rack stays cluttering the area. I find the Chain tensioner more of a fight!

Tip if using hydraulic brakes, if you remove, the wheel/brake calipers are empty, put in a 2-3mm piece so it the breaker lever are caught, when empty, the pistons/shoes don't auto adjust to the new (empty position). And clamp the brk' shoes together. You'll do it only once.

PH

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2018, 07:37:32 pm »
I'm thinking I may be a little too critical, maybe I was looking for the Holy Grail (The mega brochure does tend to lead one up that path) and have ended up with just a nice bike.  I'm going to refrain from any further comment on it till the 10,000 mile review!

ledburner

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2018, 11:08:37 pm »
Racks and Disk brakes are  poor partners. I am impressed with disk brakes better braking regardless of  mud , rain/ puddles  are a big positive for me.
The external box with cables all shoulder and limited  mounting options has increased cable drag.
I haven't used a rack since converting to disc, since  I use soft luggage, leaning towards 'bikepackung' type luggage.
Dan