Author Topic: The Saga of the Barbag  (Read 5212 times)

RST Scout

• Janet
The Saga of the Barbag
« on: September 13, 2017, 06:15:53 pm »
I took delivery of a Carradice Carradry barbag today plus a Thorn Accessory Bar to attach it to. Oh boy! What a palaver!  Carradice’s instructions were not very clear (at least not to me). In attaching the Thorn bar I found a great movement in the stem and forks.  Aaaaaaah, that wasn’t there before. What had I done??? I fiddled and faffed around, had a mini panic attack then decided to do the sensible thing and consult my bike bible (Haynes Cycle Bike Book).  Penny dropped! Too many spacers meaning the thingumy wasn’t below the wotzit. Also, I had tightened the handlebars and accessory bar before locking down the wotzit (top cap bolt). Undid it all and tried again. Hey presto and all’s right with the world. Scout looks very smart with her new barbag. Its rather large but I wanted to be able to get my camera kit bag in if I wanted.  I wasn’t going to get a barbag with what others has said about wind resistance but hey, with my upright stance, panniers and dog trailer, I reckon a barbag will be the least of my problems. And all the things I can cram in it……………………..Wind wot wind??? 8)

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: The Saga of the Barbag
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 06:49:49 pm »
Well done, Janet!

All the best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 08:25:00 pm »
janet i use the barbag all the time great bit of kit  8)

mickeg

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 02:51:15 am »
I find wind is not an issue with my bar bag. 

I try to put the heaviest stuff in it in the back where the weight is closest to the steering axis, the lightest density stuff up forward where it is farther from the steering axis, that can improve handling a bit.  Also by doing that you have the weight closer to the bracket so the bag sags less and bounces less when you hit bumps.

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 07:58:38 pm »
I find wind is not an issue with my bar bag. 

I try to put the heaviest stuff in it in the back where the weight is closest to the steering axis, the lightest density stuff up forward where it is farther from the steering axis, that can improve handling a bit.  Also by doing that you have the weight closer to the bracket so the bag sags less and bounces less when you hit bumps.

Good thinking, Batman  :)

Mind you, that means my purse will have to go at the front :o ;) ;) ;) lol
Seriously, I'm less than chuffed with the ruddy great bolts that protrude into the bag.
Scout & Bettina's slave!

Donerol

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 11:02:03 pm »
That doesn't look good. In my Super C bag, admittedly several years old, the mounting plate is fixed with rivet thingies which are much flatter.  Seriously, I would contact Carradice, sending them that photo, and ask if it is really meant to be like that.  They are very helpful, and after some googling I haven't found any other mentions of such intrusive bolts.

John Saxby

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 11:40:59 pm »
Hi Janet,

Here's something that may be helpful:  The photo below shows the interior of my Arkel small h'bar bag, with the yellow waterproof lining removed.  Those nubby white items you see are 10mm plastic dome nuts which thread onto the four fixing bolts which protrude into the inside of the bag, between the liner and the rear wall of the bag. (These four bolts fasten the attaching brackets to the outside rear of the bag.)

I should think that you could ask Carradice for something like this, or possibly even find something similar at a good hardware shop, or a shop specializing in fasteners.

On my Arkel setup, one of the four dome nuts tends to work loose, so I've used Loctite blue to keep it in place.

Hope that's helpful,

Cheers,  John

Donerol

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 02:49:25 pm »
I think the KlickFix bolts should be made shorter, and secured with dome-head nuts like these in this adapter plate made by Basil - have a look at the last photo.

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 03:58:42 pm »
I prefer the look of those dome nuts on your bag, John. I'll have a look in B&Q next time I'm in there. I was thinking of shortening the bolts with a hacksaw but the dome nuts are a good idea.

Cheers,
Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

John Saxby

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 04:59:31 pm »
If all else fails, Janet, you could probably shorten the bolts with a hacksaw, and then cover any small protrusions with a ball of Sugru.

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 05:58:11 pm »
Thanks, John
Scout & Bettina's slave!

jags

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 08:46:15 pm »
perfect.

RST Scout

• Janet