Author Topic: How much can you really carry on a bike?  (Read 5652 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: How much can you really carry on a bike?
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2017, 06:54:49 pm »
Don't bother Denise about it.
Okay. :)
... I think I just need to go for it :D  I'm sure Scout can manage.
Think of it as a training program, Janet. If it is too much, you can always slack back a bit on distance or leave more of the contents at home. Give a try and you'll know soon enough! :D

The best teacher is experience. Couple that with personal preference and you'll do fine, no worries.

All the best,

Dan.

mickeg

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2017, 03:06:18 am »
George,

I do like your set-up - neat and tidy. What size is your Ortleib RackPack? I ordered a 31L and got a 49L ??? Not sure whether to send it back or not. Its on the top of Hamish's doggie trailer at the moment.

Janet

Mine is the 31 liter.  I find it is perfect to set on top of the panniers.  This photo is on a different trip, my Sherpa was used in this photo, not the Nomad.  It is the perfect length to sit on the panniers with my Tubus Logo rack.

Also, the 31 liter works great as an airline carryon bag, but on an airplane I am careful not to roll it too tight because I do not want it to be too air tight as then it might expand as the plane gains altitude.  (I think most airlines have an indoor cabin pressure about the same as 8000 feet of altitude.)  Icelandair wanted me to check the size of the 31 liter bag in their carryon checking thing, it passed.  Second photo was my luggage when I went to Iceland, the 31 liter bag and my handlebar bag were carried on the plane, the helmet was worn onto the plane, the other two bags were checked.  The Nomad (with S&S couplers) was in the black case.

I have larger bags so I would not want a 49 liter bag.  But if I did not have the larger bags that I already have, I might be tempted to keep the 49 and order a new 31 liter bag.

I put a cardboard stiffener in the bottom of my 31 liter bag to help keep it in a cylindrical shape when it is less than full.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 03:10:12 am by mickeg »

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2017, 07:23:35 pm »
Mine is the 31 liter.  I find it is perfect to set on top of the panniers.  This photo is on a different trip, my Sherpa was used in this photo, not the Nomad.  It is the perfect length to sit on the panniers with my Tubus Logo rack.

I have larger bags so I would not want a 49 liter bag.  But if I did not have the larger bags that I already have, I might be tempted to keep the 49 and order a new 31 liter bag.

I put a cardboard stiffener in the bottom of my 31 liter bag to help keep it in a cylindrical shape when it is less than full.
[/quote]

That's a good idea, George.  I think I will keep the large bag as I can always get some straps to make it pack smaller but I might also get a smaller one; they're well made.

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!