Author Topic: British Racing Green  (Read 4769 times)

RST Scout

• Janet
British Racing Green
« on: September 11, 2017, 07:21:29 pm »
Hi,

Does anyone know if the old Rover (Mini, Rover25 etc) British Racing Green is a good match for Thorn's BRG? If not what is?

Ta!
Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

jags

Re: British Racing Green
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 08:13:53 pm »
your best bet Janet is to go to your nearest motor factor shop get them to mix a small tin  for you  they will match it to perfection..
other than that i haven't a clue  ::)

btw don't tell me you scraped your  lovely bike already get to the back of the class.

anto.

Bill C

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 09:22:50 pm »
Hi Janet
i have an original Thorn touch up bottle of paint, it came wedged in the corner of the box when i bought one of my xtc frames, (the frame was bare metal and the box was a recycled one from a different model though no idea what)
not sure if it's brg gloss or the matt green the stirlings were painted in but it looks brg in the bottle, I Have no use for it so it's yours if it's any use to you
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 09:27:29 pm by Bill C »

Andre Jute

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 11:35:27 pm »
You need the bike with you, or some main-colour part of it, when you ask for "British Racing Green". BRG is whatever dark green is surplus or near the door to the paint store on the day you ask, and in better-controlled organizations it depends on whether the product must look like BRG on television, in which case it is an entirely different color so as not to look black. I have a bike that's often mistaken for "British racing green" that is actually "non-RAL Forest Green", a custom mix that took off to the extent of getting a description in Germany that first identifies it as not within the official RAL system, and then by what is still a pretty generic name. But I know for a fact that the colour was mixed (in The Netherlands) to match gold coach lining well, nothing to do with forests. So the colour has to be matched on the your bike, and preferably in daylight. The simplest way would be to ask SJS for a touch-up bottle, because they're the ones who originally ordered that shade/tone/hue of green to be sprayed on the bike.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 09:36:05 am by Andre Jute »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 02:50:46 am »
Nice to have you back with us, Janet.  :)

If you go to the Forum's archive Search function and enter the term "Humbrol" (no quotes) you'll find a number of entries about using Humbrol model paint as Thorn touch-up paint. A check of the archives and old brochures shows Thorn used to recommend Humbrol for touch-ups.

Checking Humbrol's website, I see they do offer a British Racing Green in both acrylic and enamel here:
https://www.humbrol.com/us-en/catalogsearch/result/?q=british+racing+green

All the best,

Dan.

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 03:50:05 pm »
Hi Janet
i have an original Thorn touch up bottle of paint, it came wedged in the corner of the box when i bought one of my xtc frames, (the frame was bare metal and the box was a recycled one from a different model though no idea what)
not sure if it's brg gloss or the matt green the stirlings were painted in but it looks brg in the bottle, I Have no use for it so it's yours if it's any use to you

Hi Bill, I wouldn't mind having your bottle of paint. Do I message you my address?

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 03:58:36 pm »
Hi Dan,

Feeling a bit more social these days, thanks.
I have looked at previous messages about touch-up paint and noted remarks about Humbrol's paint and I have looked at their site. Wasn't sure what type of paint I need. Do I need acrylic or enamel?

Anto,
Scout was very naughty and slid down a brick wall, also I was a bit careless trying to fit the front rack.  :(

Cheers,
Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

jags

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 04:23:45 pm »
Aww Janet what are  u  like  ;D ;D still no major damage done thank god. ;).
the motor factor  shop if there's one near you will advise on whats best i reckon.
hope all's well in your camp Janet you still getting the miles in your legs.

Anto.

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 05:11:58 pm »
Hi Anto,

I'm afraid I'm a bit clumsy. All my bike have scratches and my 531 ATB even has a dent (God knows where that came from) :-[
Had a bit of a shitty summer but things are looking up.  Haven't done much cycling because of my shoulder but my physio says I can try again carefully (hence the very up-right cycling position). Getting the bike on the train is a bit of a bugger because its so heavy but I intend to get more cycling done.

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

leftpoole

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 02:23:49 pm »
Hi Dan,

Feeling a bit more social these days, thanks.
I have looked at previous messages about touch-up paint and noted remarks about Humbrol's paint and I have looked at their site. Wasn't sure what type of paint I need. Do I need acrylic or enamel?

Anto,
Scout was very naughty and slid down a brick wall, also I was a bit careless trying to fit the front rack.  :(

Cheers,
Janet
Acrylic or Enamel, it matters not which one because the frame is powder coated.
John

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 03:03:17 pm »
Thanks for that, John.

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

jags

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 03:22:14 pm »
sorry to hear that Janet pain is not nice  :'( :'(
only time these day's i don't feel pain is when i'm cycling  ,the pro fit i got done  worked great  no more back or feet pain as long as i pace myself im fine ,sitting about is another story.
jaysus i'm a feckin joy to live with ,so the wife keeps telling me. ::)
ah well roll on next summer.

anto.

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 06:38:56 pm »
 :D :D :D
Scout & Bettina's slave!