Author Topic: EBay : Thorn Nomad(?) derailleur spares or repair  (Read 5980 times)

humedavid

EBay : Thorn Nomad(?) derailleur spares or repair
« on: September 05, 2017, 01:37:27 pm »
When the seller is not sure what they are selling..  :D
The use of punctuation in the description would be useful.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thorn-Touring-Bike-SPARES-REPAIR-DEORE-SHIMANO-/132319024143

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: EBay : Thorn Nomad(?) derailleur spares or repair
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 02:16:48 pm »
How...intriguing!

This one goes back a little, with the Thorn-embossed seatstay caps. Real interesting racks, too.

Best,

Dan.

geocycle

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 02:41:37 pm »
Looks like it has seen some action. Seems to be from a house clearance organisation so there could be a bargain to be had if someone wants to restore it.

thenandrins

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 08:26:22 pm »
Anyone like to hazard a guess for the age and size of this?
Thanks

brummie

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 09:00:37 pm »
Probably an EXP.

humedavid

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 07:25:20 am »
I just noticed the extra hooks on the left Ortlieb, I wonder if they were added for extra security or strength.

geocycle

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 10:20:30 am »
Yes, the panniers and brooks all point to it being well used but looks in decent condition as far as you can tell from photos. Not sure about the size but looks a big one -did they do an EXP in 610?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 04:02:01 pm »

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 11:25:20 PM »

QuoteModifyRemoveSplit Topic

I just noticed the extra hooks on the left Ortlieb, I wonder if they were added for extra security or strength.
David,

I run with a spare set of hooks on my rear Ortliebs. It us a handy place to self-storage spares if needed and adds a bit of extra security as these are my more heavily loaded bags. They also add a bit of extra theft deterrence. You tend to see double sets of hooks on the bags of people who are out for an extended period and/or who travel over rough roads.

I think this bike has seen some Adventure!

All the best,

Dan.

Bill C

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 04:17:21 pm »
i have fitted extra clips to my carradice panniers
as Dan said ideal place to store spares and add a bit of security
i also added them to my 2 pairs of carradice Kendalls
bought red clips so i could colour code the panniers as i fit and refit them each time i go shopping, no more faffing about sorting out where they fit  8)
front drive side 3 black clips
rear drive side 2 black one red clip
front non drive 1 black 2 red
rear non drive side 3 red clips

humedavid

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 06:46:22 pm »
Thanks for sharing that!
I did find that my rear pannier's top rail got bent from the weight slightly. I think the extra hooks would eliminate that too.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 09:14:28 pm »
I did find that my rear pannier's top rail got bent from the weight slightly. I think the extra hooks would eliminate that too.
Sure does! When I carry so much weight in food and water for my extended solo, self-supported journeys, it puts a lot of strain on the rails. I set one pair of hooks where I would if I used them alone, then distribute the other set for greater support. Works like a charm.

Also, if you have the older QL-2 hookset where the inserts are sometimes subject to loss, this addresses that problem as well. The later QL-2.1 hooks have a different design and so better retain the sizing shims.

I also run two sets of lower retention "fins" on *all* my Ortlieb panniers. As with the spare hook-sets, this makes for a ready-made set of spares already in place, but also does wonders to reduce pannier rattle on rough roads (though I still use compression straps). For my rear Thorn Expedition rack, I pair the lower fins together head-to head, fins sticking out fore and aft. This configuration catches nicely in the "V" formed by the bottom of the rack. One just lowers the bag in place and the two fins catch evenly between the uprights as the hooks snap into place.

I carry a spare wire for the handlebar bag mount, too.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 09:17:14 pm by Danneaux »

humedavid

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2017, 12:32:17 pm »
Sure does! When I carry so much weight in food and water for my extended solo, self-supported journeys, it puts a lot of strain on the rails. I set one pair of hooks where I would if I used them alone, then distribute the other set for greater support. Works like a charm.

Also, if you have the older QL-2 hookset where the inserts are sometimes subject to loss, this addresses that problem as well. The later QL-2.1 hooks have a different design and so better retain the sizing shims.

I also run two sets of lower retention "fins" on *all* my Ortlieb panniers. As with the spare hook-sets, this makes for a ready-made set of spares already in place, but also does wonders to reduce pannier rattle on rough roads (though I still use compression straps). For my rear Thorn Expedition rack, I pair the lower fins together head-to head, fins sticking out fore and aft. This configuration catches nicely in the "V" formed by the bottom of the rack. One just lowers the bag in place and the two fins catch evenly between the uprights as the hooks snap into place.

I carry a spare wire for the handlebar bag mount, too.

Best,

Dan.
Thanks for the tips Dan, I really appreciate it!!!
David

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2017, 09:45:00 pm »
Very welcome, David.  :)

All the best,

Dan.

sd

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 01:17:39 pm »
Is it a nomad? Opinions please!? He has added "FRAME MEASURES 22" 56CM" to the listing informaton.
is that a large? Thanks sd

Bill C

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2017, 01:31:55 pm »
Is it a nomad? Opinions please!? He has added "FRAME MEASURES 22" 56CM" to the listing informaton.
is that a large? Thanks sd

i think Brummie nailed it

Probably an EXP.

going by the x mudguard bridge

my xtc is 22" c to t seat tube and irc it's a size 590 so pretty big