Author Topic: No change from thorn  (Read 7683 times)

jags

No change from thorn
« on: August 24, 2017, 11:10:33 am »
Is it not about time Thorn updated there bikes.like better p aint choices carbon drive belt .just looking at a video the other day Darren Alf biketouringpro.but yeah he has a new custom b i ke from co motion really class machine .so why doesnt thorn give the customer a choice.there great bike thorn but man are they stuck in a rut .

leftpoole

Re: No change from thorn
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 01:39:44 pm »
Updated colours for Audax this Month!
Updated colours for Club Tour last year or so.
John

jags

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 05:51:18 pm »
I'm sure the Rohloff boys would love a choice of carbon belt ,seems to make for a silent ride and maintenance  free .custom paint job would also be nice.
i'm as happy as a pig in honey  ;) with my black audax rides like a dream.

anto.

Andre Jute

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 09:33:06 pm »
That's not the smartest thing I ever heard you say, Anto. Running after fashion with annual, and then seasonal, model changes, is the surest road to ruin for an established small company known to make solid products by a loyal following. And in your next post you tell us in almost as many words that you won't buy a new Audax just because there's a new colour (I wouldn't either, if I had your Audax, but that's not the point).
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 04:46:51 am by Andre Jute »

jags

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 07:23:53 pm »
Andre i like a bit of color in my life every now and again sure no harm in that  :)
buy yeah there great bikes for sure hard to fault them and yip i love me Audax but had to give it  bit of bling.

oh i'd safely say i said a lot worse that this on the forum, i though  by this stage i'd be banned  from ever posting again   ;D ;D

anto.

Andre Jute

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 11:29:30 pm »
Bling rules! I'm only sorry the Chinese LED thingy I bought, to spell "Stay clear, you moton*!" in the spokes as the wheel revolves, turned out to be a bad speller and instead read, "Up the cops".

*Nope, that's not a misspelling, it's a compound word of great utility to cyclists.

John Saxby

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 03:12:31 am »
Then again, we could turn "Up the cops" around with just adding a wee apostrophe: "Up the cops' "

Andre Jute

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 05:53:30 am »
You fellows will get me into trouble.

Mike Ayling

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 11:23:32 pm »
I'm sure the Rohloff boys would love a choice of carbon belt ,seems to make for a silent ride and maintenance  free .custom paint job would also be nice.

anto.

The last time that I looked Andy Blance was not in favour of the belt drive!

Mike

Bill C

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2017, 01:38:14 pm »

anto.

The last time that I looked Andy Blance was not in favour of the belt drive

Mike

yea but Thorn do make U turns on policy  ;) they now offer several disc forks after saying they never would

"We do not (and will not) fit disc brakes to resilient steel forks. The leverage of the caliper on the rotor can pry the wheel from its dropout. A through axle dropout (and hub) would prevent this but, to fit one, we would have to use very large diameter blades; these would then be horribly uncomfortable to ride, there is enough rubbish on the market without us adding to it!"

Donerol

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2017, 03:19:48 pm »
Some years ago my husband contacted Thorn to see if they would do a bike with a Rohloff + disc brake on the back and a caliper on the front, as he wanted the better back brake combined with the comfort of a standard fork. Their negative reply was condescending to the point of rudeness.

He is now building up his order for just such a bike.....but it won't be a Mercury from Thorn!  ::)

jags

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2017, 05:46:47 pm »
sure a change is as good as a rest .
few more color choice's  would't  go a miss.
mind you i wouldn't chance a thing on my black audax and the build quality is  class.if i could afford one of those secret motors i'd be a happy camper. ;D

jags.

energyman

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2017, 01:15:52 pm »
You see a number of bikes now with a kick stand bolted onto the rear frame as standard,  I have a Pletscher one.  Again Thorn don't advise this but so far there have been no adverse effects on my frames.  Maybe I'm just lucky ?

bobs

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2017, 03:20:25 pm »
Thorn have done a number of U turns over the past few years. They stick their necks out a bit by saying that they will never do something  ie disc mounts on front forks, then change their minds. No reason why a gates belt drive cannot be an option and the same with a kickstand.  Nearly every continental frame has one.

Andre Jute

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2017, 05:43:09 pm »
I view the split rear triangle for the Gates Drive with suspicion, regardless of how many fashion victims have adopted it; but then I can remember when we did finite element analysis the hard way for a whole triangulated space frame racing car -- on slide rules, bay by bay. A bicycle, mainly in two dimensions, and by necessity and tradition as light as the designer can make it without imperiling other functions (and often a bit lighter, though we don't see that much at the touring end of the market), just doesn't strike me as a natural candidate for splits, especially that near the major torque-points of power input and braking (especially with a disc attached to the hub).

As for the kick stand Energyman mentions, I've had one on every bike since I switched to Continental bikes. Here I just don't see the objection of old-fashioned designers to a piece of very convenient kit that can be attached at a strong point on the bike with, at most, the addition of a lightweight, short stiffening brace between the chain stay and the seat stay. On my favorite German bike the brace has been laser-cut from the same steel as the tubes but flat, as a quarter-circle with holes in it, which is decorative, and the brace serves the double purpose of bracing against disc brake forces as well. The only other fitting on OEM stand-fitted frames is a flat tab of thicker metal brazed, soldered or welded onto the non-drive side chain stay to bolt the kickstand onto, to avoid clamping it onto the chain stay, with resulting paint damage. As far as I know, ESGE/Pletscher stands come with two half-round spacers, one convex and one concave, to let you angle the thing on the flat tab; they're a nuisance to adjust, and I fixed mine permanently by a locknut behind the threaded tab so that I could set them once and then forget about the stand. If anyone cares, an ESGE stand is just about indestructible; I've never managed to break one.

I find the stand very convenient; I wouldn't want to do without it; I cringe every time pedal pals lean their bikes up against the hawthorne hedges, very common here, because they don't have kickstands.