Author Topic: Overseas courier?  (Read 2632 times)

paullupton

Overseas courier?
« on: August 06, 2017, 03:49:03 pm »
Hi All,
Could somebody recommend a parcel company for bicycle shipment outside the U.K.?
I googled "parcel monkey" which is a comparison website and it came up with prices for South Africa around £100 to £250 and for Iceland for around £90 to £150. I recognised some of the carriers such as TNT and DPD but has anybody got any experience - good or bad?
Thanks. Paul

John Saxby

Re: Overseas courier?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 04:11:43 pm »
Just a question or two to clarify:  Are you looking to ship a bike from U.K.? to where?  Or, is it a matter of a shipping company elsewhere in the world? And to ship a bike from where to where?

There are a couple of bike-specific companies in the U.S., for example, such as shipbikes.com. These might be of interest, but a bit more info on context would be helpful.

Cheers,  John

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 05:35:29 pm »
I've had good luck shipping bikes internationally (US > UK) through BikeFlights: https://www.bikeflights.com/

Also, I've shipped bikes to Ukraine using sea expediters. This also worked well and was remarkably inexpensive and much faster than I would have thought.

Best,

Dan.

mickeg

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 05:59:18 pm »
I've had good luck shipping bikes internationally (US > UK) through BikeFlights: https://www.bikeflights.com/

Also, I've shipped bikes to Ukraine using sea expediters. This also worked well and was remarkably inexpensive and much faster than I would have thought.

Best,

Dan.

Interesting.  Every time I heard of someone wanting to ship a bike across a national border, the topic of customs duty and reams of paperwork popped up. 

Some friends of mine rode from Western Canada to Northwest USA last year.  They did not want to take the bikes on the airplane to fly to Canada because of very expensive airline charges so they tried to ship them.  They had so much trouble trying to ship them across the border that eventually one person in the group rented a van and drove from Wisconsin (Central USA) to Western Canada with the bikes.

My Sherpa, I bought the frame and fork used from someone in Western Canada.  He drove it to USA and shipped it from there.  Since he had a job in USA, it was not a big deal for him to drive the bike across the border before shipping it.

My Nomad frame and fork, I bought it new from SJS.  When the postal carrier brought it to my door, he needed payment for customs duty.

paullupton

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 09:12:38 am »
Thanks for replies.
I was looking for a shipper from the UK

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 09:55:25 am »

paullupton

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 12:33:30 pm »