Author Topic: Drops to North Road conversion  (Read 4450 times)

tyreon

Drops to North Road conversion
« on: August 06, 2017, 11:52:25 am »
I currently have a Club Tour set up with drops and 8 speed bar end shifters. I'm thinking of getting rid of the drops(never use them now,neck arthritic)and going over to some set up like this beaut: https://www.flickr.com/photos/obswerve/sets/72157648266482689/

Wondering where/how to attach the gear leaver to the pictured handlebar...and where to source the handlebars. I guess I could try to contact the poster but  try to avoid more on-line joining set-ups.

Anyone any idea of the bars and necessary gear lever attachment thingamebob?

A colleague comments a better trigger system might be employed by using thumbshifters,but the ones I've seen don't seem as aesthetically pleasing and clean.

I'm more loping tourer than faster mile eater (especially these days),so's don't mind looking and doing less mpd than Mark Beaumont 

bikerta

mickeg

Re: Drops to North Road conversion
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 04:43:58 pm »

tyreon

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 05:31:41 pm »
Thanks Mickeg and bikerta. Both appear worthy of my consideration. I've yet to consider appropriate stem and length and the bars I want(tho the pictured bars look appealing). Better knowledgeable than myself, you both will know I now have to source the stem,stem length,angle...said bars and know their diameter. Then I have to convince myself I want to go through the trouble of converting my bike to said North Road riding without a: too much stress b: buying and doing to conversion,but then reverting to original set up!
I guess SJS might have some similar gizmo to what paulcomp offers,or I can order gizmo from paulcomp. I'm not that confident on ordering stuff from overseas because of payments,customs,my technical/mechanical shortcomings.

My back and my marriage have learnt lessons from previous refittings of bikes :"I'll only be an hour in the garage" When it turns out I can be in there a day! I fear a divorce or several days in bed from the five-minute job in the cold garage which turns into 8hrs.

martinf

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 06:06:02 pm »
I got this handlebar for my wife's bike and one of the visitor bikes I have. But from a French supplier, not direct from Brick Lane Bikes:

https://www.bricklanebikes.co.uk/blb-fubar-bar

A fairly narrow handlebar that gives an upright riding position when used with a fairly short, high stem and the curve going upwards. Popular with fixie riders with the bars turned over and the curve going downwards.

mickeg

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 06:14:40 pm »
Stem angle and length - consider an adjustable stem.  When you are switching to a different bar type you will likely want to experiment a lot with it until if feels just right.  And once you have it just right, then if you do not want to use the adjustable you can buy the exact one you need and you only have to buy one of them because you can figure out the exact dimensions you need.

I initially used an adjustable on my Long Haul Trucker and later my Sherpa, in both cases I later replaced with a non-adjustable.  Other bikes since then, since I was staying with the same bar type and same saddle type, I did not need the adjustable because I could try to measure and calculate how to replicate my preferred setup for those new bikes.

I also loaned out my adjustable to several friends when they were trying to figure out what to get.  I still use an adjustable on my foldup bike, it makes it easier for me to fold up the bike for storage.

Switching from drop bars to flat bars, you might need a pretty long stem if your top tube is the right length for your drop bars.

My loaner adjustable stem is now permanently serving a different purpose, to hold my handlebar bag bracket, see photo.  I can get my bag lower and closer to the steering axis by using two stems.

Andre Jute

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 08:03:46 pm »
Second George's remark about an adjustable stem. If you have no experience with sitting upright, you'll actually need the adjustable stem for quite a while before you're tuned in to the new ergonomics, which is likely to involve more than just a handlebar switch. You'll also have to tune in your seat height and angle and very likely, if you use a layback seatpost, change the seatpost. And they all interact. So count on using the adjustable stem for many weeks rather than a few days, until you have the perfect attitude on your bike, especially necessary if you already have trouble anywhere between your coccyx and your head.

The German supplier Humpert makes a very solid adjustable stem that I used permanently on a touring/utility bike because I was under the physio's care and what my back could take on any day was variable quantity. Kalloy (Uno) makes a cheap toollessly adjustable stem which you might find very convenient.

Unless you can source and afford a fancy Nitto, the most commonly available good North Road bars are made by Kalloy-Uno of Taiwan; they're a big OEM item on famous brands, so they're not too pricey if you want just one. Your local bike shop likely has some they threw off new bikes for people buying their first bike on the government scheme who thought they'd look racier on drops. That's how I sourced all but one of my North Road handlebars except the one which came with n'lock setup as OEM supply. Just ask at your LBS. If you want to spend more, Humpert makes a huge selection of attractive handlebars in all the styles; I've had them on very upmarket German bikes and they're the bee's knees and very good value too, especially the stainless ones.

Note as a matter of geometry that not all the nominal rise in North Road bars is available to bring your hands higher on the grips: some of that rise is lost because the grips have to be angled somewhat downwards for the kinesthetic experience.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 02:02:54 am by Andre Jute »

tyreon

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 08:37:00 am »
Since Mickegs reply I see SJS sell the Paulcomp adaptor. Good news.

Yet to gather the resolve to go for 'the change' fearing the palaver.

Is anyone thinking of bringing a joint action(criminal chargers)against this weather. Where did summer go?

jags

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 12:13:24 pm »
lashing rain here typical irish weather. :'( :'(

anto.

Pavel

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 04:43:34 pm »
Dang, that is one gorgeous looking bicycle!

Any word on your progress?