Author Topic: Bottle cage mounts  (Read 2618 times)

steveparry

Bottle cage mounts
« on: July 16, 2017, 02:26:37 pm »
So having had the bike serviced; replacing three dried out cables and bolting the rear mudguard ontp the seat stay it seems almost done. The rear derailleur cable was too long for a snappy change - shortening it fixed that. Now changing gear smoothly. The front derailleur was also mounted too high so the mechanic lowered it. However this means the seat tube clamp now prevents a new cage mount from fitting; see photo: https://photos.app.goo.gl/1VDeBT7fjCcUmeR92   Can I get some kind of extension bolts to fix this?

John Saxby

Re: Bottle cage mounts
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 02:37:50 pm »
Steve, This adapter might work: https://mountskidmore.com.au/shop/adapters/bottle-cage-adapter/

I have one -- it's a nicely made piece of kit.

You'd have to ensure that the spacers beneath the mounting bar will be thick enough that the bar can clear the derailleur mounting clamp. If not, I guess another washer or two?

Installing this setup will move your bottle forwards, and thus it might foul the bottom of your bottle on the downtube...requiring another Mt Skidmore adapter?

Cheers,  John

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 04:13:32 pm »
Steve,

A  quick and easy fix is to use longer M5x0.8mm bolts and stacked spacers made from presta valve washers.

I did this on my Sherpa. As I recall, only two washers were required on each longer bolt for the bottle cage to clear the derailleur clamp.

Best,

Dan.

mickeg

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 04:51:51 pm »
Steve,

A  quick and easy fix is to use longer M5x0.8mm bolts and stacked spacers made from presta valve washers.

I did this on my Sherpa. As I recall, only two washers were required on each longer bolt for the bottle cage to clear the derailleur clamp.

Best,

Dan.

A neighbor that is a bike mechanic told me that the shop he works at uses the knurled presta valve nuts that you cited. 

The photo did not open for me so I am assuming that this will work.

I attached a photo from my Sherpa, I have a nut between the cage and frame.  I wish more frames were made that way, you can fit taller bottles in lower cages.