Author Topic: Scotland to Scotland.....the long way  (Read 4392 times)

dereksheph

Scotland to Scotland.....the long way
« on: July 14, 2017, 01:52:28 pm »
OK, the long awaited and , admittedly, not very well planned word tour has begun. After an uneventful and sleepless night crossing from Hull to Zeebrugge, we've been slowly acclimatising to the weather, warmth and change of well,... everything! Easy cycling along the canals and waterways of Flanders before negotiating the surreal industrial ghost town of Charlerois. A must if you like Ridley Scott movies ! Four days of easy riding came to an abrupt halt as we headed toward Dinant and now Rochefort where we've stopped for a rest day to gather our wits and gird oor loins! Tomorrow see us heading south east towards Bastogne then ever onwards to the Eurovelo routes and the Black Sea. Kit wise, everything has worked as planned. Both of us are on Nomads and I'm hauling around 30kg of gear plus my own (rapidly diminishing) 90kgs of too many pies. Linda's finding this initia exhertion tough but she's coping superbly well and spirits are good.
Huge thanks to everyone on this forum over he past year for their friendly advice and support. Next update when time and tech permits......

julk

Re: Scotland to Scotland.....the long way
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 09:55:05 pm »
Best of luck with the trip.
Have fun and stay safe.
Julian.

jags

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 10:01:22 pm »
Derek and CO stay safe enjoy every pedal stroke  8) 8)
look forward to the photos.

anto.

Reynoldsfan

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 10:52:48 am »
Will love to see your route....planning a visit next year...

mike61yorkie

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 04:17:50 am »
Good luck with your adventure.
Mike

dereksheph

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 07:57:06 pm »
Hi all !
So, after a fantastic six weeks of easy wheeling through six countries, we're finally in Tulln... just out side Vienna, Austria. Following the  Belgian canals, Rhine and then Danube has been a great ride with amazing scenery and variety. The learning curve has been steep but thank goodness weprepped our kit thoroughly. Sent a few items home as they were obsolete and bought a couple of small items but by and large everything has worked well. The Nomads have been brilliant...even standing up to some heavy crashes as Linda got used to handling the weight. The only realy disappointment hasben my MSR universal stove which had pretty muchmelted at the burner and will need replaced.MSR dont want tokmow and wont answer my emails. 
So, we're planning the next leg which will now be se asia. We decided that 2months around the coastline of India is too ambitious at this time and the planned cycle through Turkey and Iran has been universally advised against for now...until the polotical sitiation calms. ( a future trip for sure). Has anyone been to Thailand in the last 24 months and has any advice re visas? Were hoping to travel extensively I  Thailand Cambodia Laos and Vietnam and will probably need to enter and exit Thailand a couple of times in the four months we plan to be in the region. Asalways, any help will be appreciated.
PS Ive tried numerous gimes to post photos from my Samsung tablet but gave up afternearly throwing the blasted thing in the Danube ! Thoughts ?
Cheers
D

lewis noble

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 10:57:18 am »
I doubt if throwing in Danube, or any other river, would solve the photo posting problem.

Good luck with sorting stove problems, and with the rest of your tour.

Lewis

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 11:35:48 am »
I enjoyed Sri Lanka last year.......
Just a thought since you considered India.
Not as rough around the edges.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 09:52:12 pm »
PS Ive tried numerous gimes to post photos from my Samsung tablet but gave up afternearly throwing the blasted thing in the Danube ! Thoughts ?
I'm so sorry you're having trouble posting photos to the Forum, Derek. I've written a little tutorial here that might help:
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=4313.0

The question of how to upload photos to the Forum comes up periodically. The problem is almost never due to the Forum software (though various options, buttons and labels are easily overlooked on the Forum screens, they're there) but instead the user's device interface and options, all of which can vary in many ways depending on operating system, vendor, and user-installed options and applications. This can make some individual problems difficult to resolve because there is no universal solution that works.

Derek, your Samsung tablet runs on some flavor of Android, essentially the same as on my Samsung Galaxy S4 and Note 4 Android phones, but most likely varying in features, labels, and even location from mine.

If all goes well, the process needed for you to post a photo to the Forum should be roughly similar to this:
TAKE PHOTO
1) Take photo, it will be stored in your Android Gallery.
GO ONLINE TO THE THORN FORUM TO COMPOSE AN ENTRY
2) Use your tablet's Samsung/Android Internet Browser (you can install others from Google's PlayStore) to bring up the Thorn Forum and once there, click on either New Topic or Reply to get in "Compose" mode. 
3) Click on "Attachments and other options" below the compose box. The expanded view will come up and there will be a section labeled "Attach" and a button labeled "Choose File". Click it. Now you will be navigating through your own device to find where the photo is stored.
NAVIGATE TO WHERE THE PHOTO IS STORED ON YOUR DEVICE, SELECT IT, AND POST TO THE FORUM
4) Your device (Android tablet) will bring up a window, probably titled, "Choose an action". Click on the icon labeled "My Files". You'll likely see two choices, either internal (Device) storage or external (SD card) storage. In either case, you'll click on one and look for the entry labeled "DCIM" -- that's where your photos will be stored, most likely in a sub-folder (sub-directory) called "Camera". Navigate to the file you want, click on it, and it will be uploaded as an attachment to your Forum post when you hit the "Post" box on the Forum.
=====
You're not done yet. The above tells how to get to actually post your photo, but there is an important step you need to do first...
=====
RESIZE YOUR PHOTO FIRST (BEFORE UPLOADING) FOR CONVENIENT VIEWING
5) Do beware that completing Step 4 above will upload a photo at full resolution -- likely too big to fit in the display box without scrolling when viewed in your post on the Forum. To get a photo suitable for posting, you will need to *first* resize it using the Edit tools in your Android Gallery. These tools vary depending on what version of Android you're using, but the general procedure is to...
a) Call up your gallery and navigate to the photo you want to resize and upload. Call up the edit menu and select an option to "Resize". Resize to about 30-50% and save as a copy. Then, upload that copy to the Forum using steps 1-4 above.
-----
I'm sorry I can't be more specific, but each Android device varies according to which version of the operating system is installed, what apps you are using for camera and gallery/storage, and by the amount of vendor/brand-specific software that lays between you and the native Android OS. Samsung has a lot of bloatware in their TouchWiz interface that overlays Android, so is not as straightforward as a native Android environment. My hacked phones are easy, my unhacked phones have TouchWiz, so the procedure I listed above should help get you on your way to posting photos to the Forum.

All beat wishes on this effort and on your tour. You've gone/are going through many areas very familiar to me, so your descriptions call up many pleasant memories. I hope yours will be the same.

Dan.

dereksheph

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 05:22:27 pm »
Apologies for the delay Dan but thanks again as always! Ithink human error may be more than partly to blame. We're in Ascoli Italy just now as the weather and how we feel changes.Still having a great time!
Any advice on flying the bikes with Thai Airways ? We will head to Bangkok from Rome in late October and have never flown with bikes before. I might put out a general query as well as a new topic. ?.........
Hope all's good with you and yours.
Cheers
Derek