Author Topic: Gilles Berthoud CNC bar-end mirror coming soon  (Read 4436 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Gilles Berthoud CNC bar-end mirror coming soon
« on: July 13, 2017, 11:15:27 pm »
Hi All!

As the title says; CNC machined from aluminum billet with a gimbled mount. Designed primarily for drop handlebars, replacing a bar-end plug, so not suitable for use with bar-end shifters. Appears to be durable and the mirror "glass" should remain intact if the bike falls over, though it would be a pity to mar the housing. The o-ring surround should help in that regard.

Expected "soon" according to GB; photo courtesy GB as well.

I have no interest in the venture and would probably pass due to the incompatibility with bar-end shifters, the vulnerability in case of a fall, and because I vastly prefer eyeglass-mounted rearview mirrors over those mounted on a bike (only one is needed no matter how many bikes, doesn't get damaged if bike falls over or blocked by body, and I can sweep whole traffic lanes with a slight turn of my head).

Best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

Re: Gilles Berthoud CNC bar-end mirror coming soon
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 11:37:40 pm »
Hey, Good Lookin'!

jags

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 09:58:51 pm »
That looks really good quality but can u see anything coming up behind ?.

the one i bought on CRC is next to useless i tried it out for 5 minutes put it back in the box  it now lives in the shed 12 euro down the drain  :'( :'(.

what price was that mirror Dan .

anto.

John Saxby

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 10:57:50 pm »
That looks really good quality but can u see anything coming up behind?

Anto, to my eye Berthoud's stuff always looks very well designed and well made, often close to beautiful.

I've tried bar-end mirrors--not so polished in appearance as these, it must be said--but I found they worked well only when I was on the drops. I'm with Dan -- I find that only the helmet-mounted mirrors, at eye level, work well for me. I can make adjustments for my hand positions by moving my head.

This is the one I use: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5013-612/Take-A-Look-Cyclist%27s-Mirror The clip-on system works better than others I've tried, which use a ball-and-socket joint glued to the helmet.

The helmet-mounted mirrors can be a bit vulnerable if you drop your helmet, etc., but you don't have to worry about them if you lean your bike against a wall. And, they don't cost much.

I have used a Mirr-cycle mirror attached to my left brake hood cover, but found that it vibrated a fair bit, and was forever bent out of adjustment when I leaned the bike against a wall.

Some people don't use a mirror at all, but after half a century-plus (!!) of motorcycling and even more on bicycles, I find I need to see something of what's going on behind me.

jags

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 11:34:35 pm »
John the one i bought  vibrates  terrible cheap plastic job.
i'd like to get a good quality mirror for sure but not a helmit jobby just don't like them sorry.
the young dudes driving these days  seem to hate us cyclists with a passion ,lorry drivers years ago used to give you a bep when they would pass so as you could jump in behind them,these days they would sooner kill you than to slow down or give you room sad but true.
yeah nice to see traffic coming up behind .
i'm away to me cot im an ould fella ya know good night john boy.

anto.

Andre Jute

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 01:36:04 am »
I have a small mirror that fits on an adjustable arm in a slot on my Bell Metro helmet, also on the Citi, I think,  but it sits folded back for emergencies or riding in city traffic, which I rarely do.

Normally I use bar-end mirrors on all my bikes. Two that I know from experience to be vibration-proof are:

1. Zefal Dooback
Expensive but good, except it got regulary smashed because it made the bike too wide for a footbridge I like to take at speed.

2. Cateye 300G
Cheap (mine was a fiver), not vulnerable to breakages because when knocked it folds away under the handlebar (if you mount it thoughtfully), a scaled rear view because it is not domed at all, so you can actually tell how far the car is behind you. Mine is mounted to sit under my hand, where it gives me the widest space for my hand on the shortened grip which allows for the Rohloff control. Highly recommended.

3. Chinese no-name
There's actually a third round mirror, similar to the Cateye but with a domed mirror, which I found has a vibration-proof mounting, but I gave it away and now can't remember its name. In any event, I can't recommend it because it would show cars a long way back and then, when you turned into the lane, you discovered they were actually already passing you, very dangerous distortion.

Donerol

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 06:53:39 pm »
On drop bars I like the Busch & Muller Cyclestar; no vibration and good view. It's slightly convex but not so much as to be misleading.

I tried the Cateye but couldn't get it to adjust to the right angle on my set-up.  The original Mirrycycle that screwed on to  old-fashioned brake levers was the best.

The Zefal Dooback works well on my Brompton, and folds neatly like the rest of the bike.

jags

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 05:43:39 pm »
Thanks lads after my  12 euro down the drain i'm a bit on the weary side of buying another mirror.although i have to say the one one Dan posted here looks class really quality stuff,but  doubt very much it would cost  12 euro ;)

anto.

martinf

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 06:05:58 pm »
My Busch & Muller mirror vibrates a bit over rough surfaces such as cobbles but is acceptable. I have set the adjustment on the ball and socket joint holding the mirror arm so that it moves rather than breaks when it gets a knock.

As Donerol says, it's slightly convex. But no worse than some of the wing mirrors/rear view mirrors on the motor vehicles I drive.

jags

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 10:09:18 pm »
Martin what puts me off buying that mirror from sjs is the postage .great company and I love them all except t here bloody postal costs.crc is free.