Author Topic: Greetings  (Read 3534 times)

B cereus

Greetings
« on: July 12, 2017, 12:56:13 pm »
Hi,

As a long time owner of a Thorn Cub Tour, circa 2000, I've been an occasional visitor here for a number of years. I've just finished putting together my take on  a do-it-all bike, built around a MK IV Club Tour frame and I thought it was about time I joined in. I'm recently retired and I live in London.

I purchased the the CT Mk IV frame as a near new complete donor bike to get the project rolling. The frame has the 853 fork and has full V's front and rear. I toyed with the idea of a rear disc  but for the moment the V brake provides more than enough stopping power to lock up the rear wheel and I love the simplicity of V brakes.   At present it's in fast road mode, mudguardless with DRC ST19 rims and 28mm Scwalbe Ultremo ZX tyres. The original Mavic  wheelset will be used for light touring and unsurfaced tracks,  with a rear rack and 32 mm or 37mm Vittoria Hypers.

The V brakes operate through Tektro BR520 levers and gear shifting (9X3) is through Shimano bar ends. I originally experimented running the bar ends mounted on the brake levers  using Revoshift  (now Gevenalle) bosses, but  the cabling interfered with my bar bag so I reverted to the bar end position with the cables routed all the way beneath the bar tape. I've solved  similar bar bag/cabling issues on another bike that has 9 speed Shimano Dura Ace washing line brifters by using brake pipe noodles to route the cables out  of the way. I'm thinking that I might try Kelly Take off's, which I see SJS now stock.

Future plans include a front dynamo hub wheel build and I also have a pair of NOS  mavic open Pro ceramic  rims which will replace the DRC ST19 wheelset for light road use.

geocycle

Re: Greetings
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 02:02:58 pm »
Welcome to the forum, please post pictures of your adventures on your CT in the members gallery!

jags

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 10:21:06 pm »
welcome to the jungle  ;)
sounds like you have a well specked out bike.
must be a nightmare cycling in London i done it back in the 80s place never sleeps crazy traffic.
anyhooooo enjoy the forum post some photos.

jags.

B cereus

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 03:15:01 pm »
Thank you both for the replies and the welcome.

Photos? ------ The new Cub Tour made its debut on a recent trip to the Mizzen peninsula in West Cork. But unfortunately none of the pictures that I took feature my own bike.

Ireland is a truly wonderful area for touring and I thought as a means of learning to post pictures on this forum. I would post a picture  from an earlier trip. Unfortunately I failed miserably. I resized an image to 274KB, clicked on attachments and the file appeared to attach, but when I pressed preview the screen was blank.   

What am I doing wrong?

David Simpson

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 03:46:05 pm »
This thread explains how to upload photos:
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=4313.0

I hope you figure it out. I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures.

- DaveS

John Saxby

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 04:45:53 pm »
Welcome, B, and your bike too! Look forward to seeing your photos and stories. I hope you'll find the Thornistas a cheerful lot -- we don't take ourselves too seriously, though the bikes are a different matter :)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 07:29:11 pm »
What am I doing wrong?
PM'd B Cereus.

Best,

Dan.

B cereus

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 08:06:42 pm »
Testing

B cereus

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 08:09:09 pm »
Problem solved. Apparently pictures don't show in preview.

The above picture was taken at the end of Sheep's Head peninsula in West Cork.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 09:08:09 pm »
Yay, B!  ;D

Test successful, now we can look forward to those Club Tour photos on the Gallery board.

Well done.

All the best,

Dan.

B cereus

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 06:14:49 am »
I feel a little guilty that my first photo posted on the Thorn forum doesn't actually feature a Thorn.

I will see if any of my companions from our recent Irish jaunt have any pictures featuring my new bike. If not I will get some taken when I have a moment and will post them soon. In the meantime I will post a picture on the gallery of my old Club Tour taken in Scotland.

jags

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2017, 09:54:12 pm »
yip great place for touring Ireland .
i done a week touring with bikepacker but my back caved in so had to call it a day.
i stick to day rides now in my part of ireland northeast coast .
i'm donkey years on this forum and still haven't got a clue how to post photos ,
me and computers just get on ,just as well Dan is about on facebook if i want photos posted Dan is my man ;).

anto.