Author Topic: Chain Whip?  (Read 3026 times)

lestat_12345

Chain Whip?
« on: July 05, 2017, 09:01:26 pm »
Can anyone recommend a chain whip suitable for sprocket removal? I was thinking about the Park took SR-2.

mickeg

Re: Chain Whip?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 01:42:00 am »
For a Rohloff sprocket, a long chain whip is best.  I am not familiar with the Park that you cited.  I just looked for mine and it is not where it is supposed to be so I could not measure it.  According to the photo, mine is an SR-11 and I find it to be perfectly adequate.  I use it with a 20 inch (50 cm) long adjustable wrench.

onmybike

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 03:24:58 am »
I use the mighty POW (Piece Of Wood) 3000 - a high tech ensemble consisting of a plank, old chain and a few big nails. Like all technology its days are numbered and next time it's used will be in the replacement of the screw on cog with the splined variety. After that it will be redundant and I'll either donate it to a technology museum or put it out in the recycling bin.

The POW3000 is used in conjunction with a workshop vice (to hold the cog removal tool) and its 1.2 metre length gives me all the leverage I need.

If you are planning on upgrading to splined cogs I would suggest you steal this design rather than spend bigly on a factory made whip.

Tiberius

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 03:57:32 am »
A few months ago I needed to flip my Rohloff sprocket....the first time I had removed a Rohloff sprocket

I bought the Park SR 2.2 chain whip and the Rohloff tool. The job was very straight forward.

I bought the chain whip from 'Chain Reaction' Amazingly it's much cheaper now than when I bought it.....so much for Brexit making everything more expensive eh ??!!!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/park-tool-chain-whip-shop-sprocket-remover-sr2-2/rp-prod8211

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 04:00:48 am »
Regardless of the kind/brand of chainwhip used...

I have found it easier and more secure to fasten the end of the chain whip 'round the cog by securing the free end tot he rest of the chain via a cable (zip) tie to prevent it coming off. Not only does this ensure full engagement of chain on the sprocket teeth, it prevents the free end from scratching the hub finish as the sprocket unscrews.

Best,

Dan.

mickeg

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 12:02:37 am »
For those of use that also ride derailleur bikes, the chain whip is pretty useful to have if and when you remove a cassette.  Also, I will be using a Rohloff threaded sprocket for years to come.  So my chain whip will have many more years of use.