Author Topic: ideas on fixing lights to fork  (Read 5961 times)

jags

ideas on fixing lights to fork
« on: July 03, 2017, 06:35:07 pm »
so i want to mount my battery lights on fork  (one each side )what can i use is there a fitting i can buy  that fits the braze on's  .has to be super neat  .i use the barbag all the time  so the accessory bar i have on the stem is not much use .
any ideas folks.

cheers
anto

martinf

« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 07:04:15 pm by martinf »

jags

Re: ideas on fixing lights to fork
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 07:53:37 pm »
cheers Martinf ,wonder do they work, like what would stop them from turning once lights are fitted especially over rough roads .the cheaper option would be grand as long as it worked.

jags.

martinf

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 08:52:05 pm »
Comments for the cheaper one say that you have to REALLY tighten the fixing bolt, probably with the risk of stripping the thread in the boss.

Personally, I don't much like the idea of fitting a battery lamp on a fork blade - I reckon it would pick up a lot more vibration than mounted higher up on the handlebar or at the fork crown, vibration is bad news for battery contacts.

But I suppose there isn't much room higher up when you have a bar bag.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 08:56:33 pm by martinf »

jags

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 08:53:54 pm »
While I think of it im also after a good rearview mirror for drop bars.again it has to be super neat .the traffic is seriously getting worse some lunatic drivers on the roads so a fella needs all the warning he can get.i nearly got wiped out on my last spin white van came within inches of me.

jags

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 09:04:33 pm »
Martin thanks for that,yeah don't fancy  damaging the forks.
i might just try the  accessory bar on top of the stem going to look a bit on the fred side but  not much of a choice i suppose.

jags.

martinf

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 09:16:17 pm »
I have this:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories/busch-muller-cycle-star-80-mirror-short-straight-stem-handle-bar-end-fit/

Works reasonably well on the flat-bar bike I use for towing my trailer, and it will fit drop bars. I like to frequently check the position of my two-wheel trailer relative to the kerb. I also find the mirror very useful to adjust my speed when cycling with my wife, as she prefers to ride behind me, but is slower.

But I have to have it with the arm sticking sideways a fair way to get a decent view past a fairly large rider, so it tends to get knocked fairly easily. It hasn't broken yet.

So far I have resisted fitting mirrors to any of my other bikes - I rely on hearing, combined with frequent quick glances behind. On the rare occasions that I have had a stiff neck I was very uncomfortable cycling.

I tried a small mirror that clips to glasses, very neat but I didn't like the closeness to my eyes.

jags

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 09:58:51 pm »
Cheers Martin that looks neat enough.

Anto.

rualexander

jags

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 10:52:21 pm »
Hah looks good blue I like ;).
So which works better I wonder.I was going to ask martin had u any photos of the mirror on your bike.

mickeg

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 01:48:38 am »
For mounting a battery powered light I used a long M5 bolt, some washers and a couple of nuts, and a piece of wood with a cylindrical shape that was about an inch (25.4 mm) in diameter that I drilled a hole through.  I intentionally drilled the hole through the wood off to one side, not concentric, because I wanted to lower the center of gravity. You can mount in a midfork rack mount (if Nomad Mk II, M6, not M5). 

Best done up around the midfork rack mount or higher, any lower and you get too many shadows from uneven terrain.

The attached photo is a dynohub powered light, not battery.  But I attached this photo because it is NOT what I recommend, I only show this as an example of what will give you too many shadows in uneven ground because the light is too low to the ground.  In this case I mounted the light in the fender mount, as this bike (not a Thorn) did not have a mid fork rack mount.  I plan to mount this light up higher in the near future.

jags

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2017, 12:56:42 pm »
Thanks for that mick ,I didnt know a light mounted on Qr would cast shadows.the lights I have a pretty good Lyzyne mini drive I usually mount that one on the left I can turn it towards the ditch the cateye Hl el540 is good and bright that would be my main light not sure if I could fit it on the QR might be a tad heavy.anyway like then placed same height.ill work something out thanks for photo nice to see other peopleset up.
Anto.

martinf

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2017, 07:42:01 pm »
Hah looks good blue I like ;).
So which works better I wonder.I was going to ask martin had u any photos of the mirror on your bike.

My Thorn Raven "utility" bike has the mirror, photos about half way down the page:

http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=8981.0

Since the photo I have moved it out even more, by fitting it outboard of the bar-ends on the little stub of projecting handlebar. Better rear visibility, but even more likely to get knocked.

Rual's blue mirror probably wouldn't work for me. I have my drop handlebars set fairly high, the blue mirror doesn't have an arm to position it away from the handlebars so I reckon I would have a good view of my thighs rather than the traffic behind. Might be OK for thin cyclists and/or those with a very sporty position and handlebars set low down.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2017, 07:51:51 pm »
While I much prefer an eyeglass-mounted rearview mirror, another possibility you may wish to try is the wrist-mounted mirror, as it can be adjusted and travels with you from bike to bike. There's a number of similar types.

Videos of one brand here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UrMC9JFcx4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9FTSc5wxqw
Available a number of places, including cheap on eBay.

For use with drop handlebars, wrist mirrors can also be mounted near the elbow, as shown here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-Orange-RearViz-Arm-Mounted-Rear-View-Cycling-Mirror-/182238857984?hash=item2a6e484b00:g:Nn4AAOSwB-1YwK~j

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 02:07:22 pm »
i was just going to order the mirror rual recommended until i seed the price  £12.99 mirror
wait for it £10 delivery are they having a laugh >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(