Author Topic: Rust on frame  (Read 1944 times)

steveparry

Rust on frame
« on: July 13, 2017, 02:12:11 pm »
I've just bought a lovely Thorn Sherpa which was built up in 2010ish and hardly used since by the owner. I see there is a scare off the paintwork on the chain stay end:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/JrxhrqhMllBkHbUw2   Any advice on how to strip it back, remove the rust and repaint? I know if you buy a new Thorn they supply a pot of paint to touch up but I haven't got one and on SJS site none is listed... Thank you, Steve

mickeg

Re: Rust on frame
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 02:57:43 pm »
They no longer provide any paint with new frames.  I use fingernail polish.  Depending on the color, may be easy or hard to find a matching color.  But it is convenient in a small bottle with built in brush.  (I did not see your photo, I do not know color of bike.)

I have no advice on prepping the frame.  In some past threads Dave from the shop has advised to remove all rust first.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 04:43:51 pm »
Hi Steve!

Welcome to the Thorn Cycling Forum. So glad you found the Sherpa you've been seeking, and in pretty quick time!

I'm sorry you must deal with rust, but it can be easily addressed. If you go to the menu at the top of the Forum screen and click on "Search", then enter "Rust" (no quotes), a wealth of information from past posts on this topic will come to light.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 07:24:46 pm by Danneaux »

steveparry

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 07:13:27 pm »
Will do. Thank you.