Author Topic: Bottoms and Brooks Saddles  (Read 6143 times)

RST Scout

• Janet
Re: Bottoms and Brooks Saddles
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2017, 02:52:56 pm »
Thanks for all the saddle info guys. I always cover my saddle because I don't want people to see I've got a "posh" leather saddle. I like your tip about the shower cap, Dan. Think I'll get one.

Cheers,
Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

léo woodland

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2017, 07:44:42 pm »
Hi

If by wear on one side you mean the flank of the saddle, the vertical part, then that is abnormal. I can't suggest the cause, although I doubt it's just one load of rain. Saddles aren't that flimsy.

If you mean a hollow on one side of the sitting area, that is probably you. Those bones poke into the saddle hard and for a long time, soany difference in their prominence will make that side dent and the other not. That is the benefit of a leather saddle: it changes to your shape.

I can't say why you should have noticed this dent so soon after the rain. It may just be that you were looking for damage and spotted something that was there all the time.

There's a lot of difference between a bone-accommodating depression, which a lot of people have, including me, and a saddle that sags. It will only sag badly if it's allowed to. All leather saddles have an adjustment beneath the nose, either a big clumsy bolt on a Brooks or a dinky allen key on a Berthoud, and they're there for a reason: the reason being to tighten the leather as it stretches.

It stretches most when the saddle is new. The stretching will then slow down or even stop. But let it go too far and the hollow will be incurable and the sides of the saddle will flare out.

Remember: the saddle people put the adjustment there for you to use it.

happy days

léo

StillOld

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2017, 05:22:14 pm »
Thanks Leo....I think it is me and my bony bits. I broke my spine and pelvis in four places back in the 80's and I have no doubt the jigsaw that remains is not symmetrical.

I did dip the saddle in warm water for 20 secs and then stuffed it to shape the depressed side (something I read on the interweb) and it has dried naturally to its old shape. I have since proofed it and it appears to be holding up better.

Probably a combination of wet leather and my lopsided bum (there goes my modelling career)   :o caused the dent.