Author Topic: Wheel build. Andra 40 rim with XT hub.  (Read 4375 times)

paco1111

Wheel build. Andra 40 rim with XT hub.
« on: June 16, 2017, 05:49:49 am »
Hi.
I am building  an expedition bicycle. I want it  to be the srongest that can be and then I decided to use  the ryde andra 40 rim.
But i am a bit confused 'cause I see in the Ryde  e-catalog the andra 40 comes with directional spoke hole drilling (DSHD) and is advertise  as good for using with large hubs but my planned rear wheel build  is using a normal Shimano XT non disc hub.
Please,if anyone know ,is the Andra 40 rim with DSHD suitable to use with a normal shimano  XT hub?
Planned rear wheel build:
Andra 40, 26", 36 holes,v-brake
2011 Shimano XT ,non disc hub.
Sapin race spokes.
Mondial or plus tour tyres.
Thanks a lot.

mickeg

Re: Wheel build. Andra 40 rim with XT hub.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 04:34:45 pm »
I am not really answering your question, but I can say that when I built up my Nomad with Andra 30 (not 40) rims, I specifically ordered one rim to have Rohloff drilling and one rim without that drilling.  (I wanted the non-Rohloff rim on my front wheel.)  When I received them, one rim had a tag on it with a hand written label that said Rohloff.  I placed that order with SJS.

I think you need to talk to whomever is selling you the rims to make sure they ship you what you want.

paco1111

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 02:13:53 am »
Thank you Mickeg.
You are right. From my research so far I know there are andra 40 rim (same in the andra 30) that come with the Rohloff (DSHD) drilling and others with the regular drilling. What happen in the real world:
1. As I am in the Philippines I need to order online.
2. I search so many european  online bike stores and only SJS have the regular drilling one but the cost of shipping only is 116 pounds. Then no way I am going to pay that much.
3.  I guess the andra with regular drilling might be out of production 'cause on the Ryde e-catalog only mention about the rohloff drilling one and no other online store but SJS have it.
4. In a few more online stores they have the andra 30 and 40 but only with the  rohloff drilling option. I write to them but still no reply and anyway always better to have more opinions.
5. Then wondering if even the rim comes with rohloff drilling it can be used with a normal Shimano XT hub. Anyone knows?.
Thanks again Mickeg.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 02:21:21 am by paco1111 »

rualexander

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 07:42:22 am »
These guys are UK distributors for the Andra 40, I don't think they sell direct to the public but they might be able to help you.
http://www.chickencyclekit.co.uk/show_product.php?cat=0&p=9539#panel2

mickeg

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 12:55:12 pm »
Considering your location, perhaps you can buy Velocity brand rims with a lower shipping cost?