Author Topic: B&M IQ-X Condensation  (Read 6681 times)

lestat_12345

B&M IQ-X Condensation
« on: June 12, 2017, 10:20:43 pm »
Hi All,

My B&M IQ-X light has now got a condensation build up on the front lens. Totally my fault, I washed the bike upside down using my Mobi V-17 Portable Bike Pressure Washer.

Any Ideas on how to remove the condensation?

RonS

Re: B&M IQ-X Condensation
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 12:22:40 am »
First thing I would try is sticking it in a bag of rice, which is the go to method for drying anything electronic.
Good luck.

lestat_12345

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 06:26:01 am »
I was thinking of silica pads - which I would have to order - but if rice will work I'll give it a try :)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 07:39:56 am »
I'm not sure this will help in your case, so last choice if nothing else works (and disassembly is not possible):

I once managed to fix a supposedly "sealed" camera light that developed condensation after being used in the rain to film a wedding (the photographer was standing outside, waiting for the couple to emerge from the church after an evening wedding) by drilling a small vent hole, which I later plugged with...wait for it...kneaded beeswax (the kneading keeps the beeswax from flaking and makes it moldable).

The moisture evaporated quickly once air could circulate and it worked very well thereafter. When the lens fogged one later time in similar circumstances, it was a simple matter to remove the beeswax by turning the light upside down and picking it out with a cocktail toothpick before resealing again.

Just a thought. Last resort and all that.

Best,

Dan.(...who likes parenthetical asides)

energyman

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 10:02:13 pm »
Try leaving it in a 'Fridge.  It dries out food and it also works for electronics.  Remember to then warm it up again in a dry place.  I use our airing cupboard.
Did that with a radio I got wet once, it still works.

Pallium

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 10:40:40 am »
It should be easy to dry out as the front lens unscrews on the IQ-X.

Pallium

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 10:54:05 am »
Yay, that! ^^^ :)

Best,

Dan.

lestat_12345

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 12:03:17 pm »
It should be easy to dry out as the front lens unscrews on the IQ-X.

I tried unscrewing the front lens but I couldn't seem to get it off. It did turn but didn't come apart. I'll try again.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 04:16:27 pm »
Maybe it bayonets on? Like a quarter-turn and then pull?

Best,

Dan.

mickeg

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2017, 09:51:32 pm »
Instead of putting in the fridge, I would be inclined to use warmth.  Higher temperature air evaporates water much better than colder temperatures.  But if you use an artificial source of heat, be extremely careful to not be excessive.  Maybe a few minutes with a hair dryer on a low setting.  If you can hold it with your hands, that probably is safe level of warmth.  And a hair dryer with moving air is more likely to move some of the moist air out of it.  Electronics do not like excessive heat, so if you try this, be slow and patient.

lestat_12345

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 09:30:02 am »
I tried to remove the front lens but it doesn't want to budge. When I previously said 'It did turn but didn't come apart' I was mistaken - my hand was just sliding around the casing giving the impression that the lens was turning. It's been relatively hot here in Scotland and the condensation is dissipating albeit slowly. Hopefully, in a week or two it will be completely gone. Just glad it happened during the lighter evenings when I don't have much use for lights.

Pavel

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 03:38:41 pm »
Relatively hot in Scotland? Does that mean that one can almost take the gloves and cap off?  :D

lestat_12345

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2017, 08:06:17 pm »
I was away cycling a couple of weeks ago. Just stayed in Scotland and got sunburn. Can't remember the last time that happened in my 48 years of life.

rualexander

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2017, 08:19:09 pm »
I was away cycling a couple of weeks ago. Just stayed in Scotland and got sunburn. Can't remember the last time that happened in my 48 years of life.
You must stay indoors a lot then, it's very easy to get sunburned in Scotland, every year.

lestat_12345

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2017, 09:37:01 pm »
I was just jesting. You can easily get sunburnt in Scotland. It's just that our Summer isn't as sunny as it can be elsewhere in the UK. Well not in the North East anyway. But it doesn't have to be a glorious sunny day to get sunburnt that's for sure.