Private Classified > Wanted

Rohloff Hub Oil

(1/6) > >>

zomarzi:
Opinions on hub oil.

geocycle:
??

energyman:
Thanks for reminding me, my RST needs an oil change this month.

Matt2matt2002:
Does everyone stick to the recommended milage/ time or do a few of us sneak over and grab a few freebies?

mickeg:
Slightly off topic - last summer several people thought that something was wrong with my Rohloff losing oil.  I changed the oil shortly before I left for Iceland (15 ml), and from the photo you can see that a lot of oil came out of the hub.  Although I had been riding that Rohloff for a bit over three years at that time, I still considered myself pretty new to understanding Rohloffs, so I assumed everything was normal.  When the photo was taken I probalby had about 700 miles (~1000 km) of distance on the hub after the oil change.  After those comments, I removed a few of the parts off of the left side to see if I was missing a gasket or anything like that, everything appeared to be in order.

I am pleased to report that this spring I changed the oil again and this time I am not seeing any evidence of excessive oil loss.

I have concluded that the problem was changing oil shortly before getting onto two airplanes (one trip, but a connecting flight makes for a second plane flight).  The air pressure changes is what I suspect may be the culprit.  Perhaps on one or both flights, the left side of the hub was face down and the oil came out of the hub under air pressure changes and resided in the gear change mechanism before slowly leaking out later?  I have no evidence that the flights were responsible, but I can't think of anything else.

Since everything now seems to be just fine, the hub works great, only minimal oil is seeping out, I am not going to concern myself with the past.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version