Author Topic: Maximum tyre size for Mercury  (Read 3912 times)

ianatstanage

Maximum tyre size for Mercury
« on: June 07, 2017, 04:01:36 pm »
I have a Mercury with the ST700 fork (4) and a disc on the back (this is great combinations by the way).

It has proved to be very versatile and enjoyable.

It is mainly used on tarmac but increasingly I am taking it on tracks, where it performs very well.

The current Schwalbe Dureme 35 tyres do a grand job, but something wider would be better.

If I were to remove the mudguards, what do you feel the maximum tyre width I could fit?

It looks like there is room for something up to 45mm wide, although the height of the tyre may be an issue.

Also, do you feel that a tubeless tyre would work on the DT Swiss TK540 rims?

Many thanks,

Ian

Pavel

Re: Maximum tyre size for Mercury
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 11:31:30 pm »
the ST700 fork is listed as max size 44mm wide in the mega brochure, if the mudguards are absent, so it looks like you can get what your after.  I'd double check that actual size of the tires you are contemplating and if you want the mudguards then 40mm is the max.  Both should be a nice change, more towards what you seem to want in a ride nowadays.

ianatstanage

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 06:01:54 pm »
I decided to try some Schwalbe Land Cruiser tyres at 40mm wide, with the guards off.

I've just got back from a ride from Ravenglass to Whitby, which was about 40% off-road.

The tyres worked well, with the extra volume making rough tracks more comfortable. The limit was large stones and rocks, where larger tyres and suspension are needed.

It was tough going in the Lakes, but much better on the tracks of the Dales and North York Moors.

The Land Cruisers sort of make the Mercury a good gravel bike.

GibraltarSean

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 11:37:09 pm »
Ian

Interesting read there... see my thread on larger wheel for mt Sterling and it's somewhere I want to be... maybe a bit fatter if poss..  but it seems good for soft trail use....

Sean

aggs

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 09:32:36 pm »
Interesting using the Mercury as a gravel bike.
What wheels are you using?

I believe wider wheels help with comfort as the  tyre fills out better.
Had 40mm on Mavic Open Pros once not as good ride as say on a wider Touring type rim.

How do you find changing gear on rough terrain, i.e taking hand off handle bar to turn shifter?

ianatstanage

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 11:16:51 pm »
Aggs

The rims are DT Swiss at 19mm wide.

The Land Cruiser tyres fit well and were comfortable. There is space for maybe a wider tyre, but then there would less room for the mud!

Changing gear was generally okay, but on very rough ground it could get a bit more difficult.